• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

3rd most congested country in Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd most congested country in Europe

UK is third most traffic-congested country in Europe - study

I bet it's all those migrants coming over, driving on our roads.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Hardly an insignificant factor. In the South East almost 12% are foreign born. When you add 12% to already inadequate roads delays go up by a lot more than 12%. You can find the maths online.
      Last edited by xoggoth; 20 February 2017, 08:49.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Hardly an insignificant factor. In the South East almost 12% are foreign born. When you add 12% to already inadequate roads delays go up by a lot more than 12%. You can find the maths online.
        Damn you and your facts getting in the way of an immigration apologist!

Simple fact is that many of the main urban trunk roads were built a long time ago for a fraction of the traffic. Then throw in the lack of decent public transport outside of the capital and the number of people working who run cars and then the general housing increases that tend to happen outside city centres and it's easy to see why. Natural increases alone would have put a strain on the roads, without adding extra people from abroad.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

In Singapore they just make it stupidly expensive to have a car, however there they have an efficient transport system capable of moving a large amount of people at one time.
          Also, there is a lot more flexibility in start finish times, WFH etc. from there.

A Client Co Manager based there once said to me "I really don't care where and when you do it, as long as the work gets done."

Often in London, managers like to see their troops around them, contractors, perms or whatever.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I can drive for half an hour in north Devon, on the roads round Exmoor, and not see a single car
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              I can drive for half an hour in north Devon, on the roads round Exmoor, and not see a single car
              I used to have a Satnav like that.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                In Singapore they just make it stupidly expensive to have a car, however there they have an efficient transport system capable of moving a large amount of people at one time.
                Also, there is a lot more flexibility in start finish times, WFH etc. from there.

A Client Co Manager based there once said to me "I really don't care where and when you do it, as long as the work gets done."

Often in London, managers like to see their troops around them, contractors, perms or whatever.

^^^This

The only clients I've had who have a flexible mindset also have offices outside London which they have to travel to.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  I know, London is just sheer hell these days for all those damn foreigners...

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    I know, London is just sheer hell these days for all those damn foreigners...

They would be allowed in America though - the Saudis aren't banned, so at least there's some consistency.

Comment

Working...
                    X