• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gorwing your own

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I am hopeless at growing anything other than potatoes.
    You don't say!!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Ah, potatoes. You plant a potato, the potato plant grows, and next year, if you are lucky, you dig up one decent potato.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I've been growing my potatoes in bins. Got 5 of them at the bottom of the garden path. I get a good yield and no problems with pests.

Note to self: Take a trip to Otter Nurseries this Saturday to purchase those goosegog bushes I've promised myself.

Last chance folks for bare rooted stock. March onwards and you have to go rootballed which costs more money.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Ah, potatoes. You plant a potato, the potato plant grows, and next year, if you are lucky, you dig up one decent potato.
          Says the voice of experience.

Did you get blight?
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Proper plots are measured in rods. Just saying like.....

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

Here's one for you, Xoggy....

Comment

Coooooor!! Thanks GL. Luvvly and grubby just the way I like it. (The 2nd picture I mean!)

Did you get blight?
                I'm always covered in blight. Oh, you mean the potatoes.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  If you have one acre, it is going to take a lot of effort to keep it up to scratch and stop it being overgrown.

I am hopeless at growing anything other than potatoes. At Chateau Paddy in Southern Europe, the neighbour looks after the majority of the half acre small holding in exchange for him planting corn on part of the plot. There is a separate two acre vineyard which I pay the locals to look after. It runs at a loss but the end result (the wine) is free.

yo Paddy,

I am modestly starting with 50m2

Chateau Paddy sounds amazing, are you able to consume each season's wine before the next :-)

Where is it, Tuscany or ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Back in the day, the ZeitParents used to give away runner beans by the hundredweight.

My last efforts were so miserable that I gave up & grassed the lot.
                    I thought you were going to say you put a 3m satellite dish there

Milan and Zeity "Satellite Dish installers to the rich and stupid"

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                      yo Paddy,

I am modestly starting with 50m2

Chateau Paddy sounds amazing, are you able to consume each season's wine before the next :-)

Where is it, Tuscany or ?

Milan.
                      Not Tuscany as it’s rather expensive there. However, the actual village is really great location. We have some other IT contractors there “working from home” along with a Canadian and a Russian. If you are interested in the location, PM me as there are some nutcases loose on this forum
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X