• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pay VAT and Corp tax bills with AMEX

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
    Could you not get the curve and pay it on that? The air miles would easily make the fee worthwhile
    Curve (and supercard) do not support Amex unless things have changed recently. The last I heard Amex refuse to deal with them...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Curve (and supercard) do not support Amex unless things have changed recently. The last I heard Amex refuse to deal with them...
      Damn ! I was already dreaming of a holiday in the sun

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Curve (and supercard) do not support Amex unless things have changed recently.
        I checked before I posted earlier, because that was the way around it in the past. But neither do.
        First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Has anyone ever paid their vat or Corp tax at the post office? Did they accept Amex for the payments?

What about purchasing some sort of direct debit pre paid card and topping it up with Amex... Not sure if this would work but curious to see if anyone has tried or is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbobj View Post
            Has anyone ever paid their vat or Corp tax at the post office? Did they accept Amex for the payments?

What about purchasing some sort of direct debit pre paid card and topping it up with Amex... Not sure if this would work but curious to see if anyone has tried or is doing.
            Money transfers normally don't work...
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You could try Paypoint, my local shop takes Amex, and they take paypoint payments. Worth an ask. If they get a commission it could be worth their while accommodating you.

I don't think the PO take Amex for anything, in fact I don't think they take any CCs for counter payments, debit cards only.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Not Amex or Avios, but if you really must

Emirates Skywards Elite: 2 miles per £2 on Visa - No affiliate airlines.
                Miles & More (Lufthansa): 1.5 miles per £2 on Visa (first 6 months 1 per £1 on Visa) - Affiliate *A (Star Alliance)

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                You could try Paypoint, my local shop takes Amex, and they take paypoint payments. Worth an ask. If they get a commission it could be worth their while accommodating you.

I don't think the PO take Amex for anything, in fact I don't think they take any CCs for counter payments, debit cards only.
                The merchant fees on Amex will be much, much higher than any paypoint commission. Don't see this one running-
                Last edited by clearedforlanding; 20 February 2017, 22:19.

Comment

Anyone had luck with purchasing and funding prepaid visa cards by using Amex?

So far can't find anyway around getting Avios from these heavy bills

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                    The merchant fees on Amex will be much, much higher than any paypoint commission. Don't see this one running-
                    Then offer him a bung to pay the Amex fees. Use your imagination, and negotiate. It all depends on how much the points are worth to you.
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Anyone had luck with purchasing and funding prepaid visa cards by using Amex?

So far can't find anyway around getting Avios from these heavy bills
                      I have not done it in a while but I used to churn by buying the 50GBP prepaid Visa Card at Tesco. Double whammy of redeeming Clubcard points which convert into Avios. I guess you could try with a 50GBP card and if no joy spend it at Amazon or something.

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                      Then offer him a bung to pay the Amex fees. Use your imagination, and negotiate. It all depends on how much the points are worth to you.

That is one hell of an imagination you have.

The common wisdom is that 1 Avios is worth 0.74p.

(I am 1.1p across the last 4 million I redeemed.

In theory you should do better with a smaller balance because you save them for a big win. I use them for everything, including 'double Avios' Gold redemptions where the value comes down.

Value mainly depends on what you value the cash option as. I assume that I would pay £1750 cash for J somewhere (and often have in the past) so that is my benchmark. If you would never pay cash for J then you cannot put a realistic value on the miles that put you there.

Similarly, I tend to stay in 5 star hotels whether cash or points, so a redemption is genuinely saving me £250 or whatever. If you would stay in an Ibis if you didnt have hotel points then you can't say you are 'saving' £250 on your 5-star redemption.)

Retail merchant fees for Amex start at 2.95% for the likes at Tesco. A small business 3.45% upwards, Amex's sell is that their typical customer has a higher spend, thus justifying

Oh, and accepting a bung breaches the T&Cs of his paypoint account & AMEX merchant account.

Comment

Working...
                      X