• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pay VAT and Corp tax bills with AMEX

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    The silliest one I got involved in was the FB selling new currency to you with no postage charges. The Rotal Mint did it for a while but cottoned on quickly. I did well on both.

Wasn't the Royal Mint scam something to do with commemorative coins?

I was left with £29k of Royal Mint coins after HSBC refused them despite legal tender status | This is Money
    It wasn't a scam they were legal tender. The thing being if you got in early people would buy them off you at a premium, because, well - commemorative.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
      It wasn't a scam they were legal tender. The thing being if you got in early people would buy them off you at a premium, because, well - commemorative.
      So basically, what you're saying is, there's always someone who has to spoil it for the rest of us? And in this case, it was you.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        So basically, what you're saying is, there's always someone who has to spoil it for the rest of us? And in this case, it was you.
        Yes.

Comment

Once it starts again (assuming it does) there is also the Tesco Current Account that comes with a debit card and one point per £8. So no HMRC charges for using this.

Comment

Originally posted by Jase View Post
            Once it starts again (assuming it does) there is also the Tesco Current Account that comes with a debit card and one point per £8. So no HMRC charges for using this.
            Thanks. I think it is fair to speculate it won't. IAG aren't allocating enough reward seats to status pax who have earned their avios on revenue tickets. There is no incentive to continue extending avios to auxcillary streams.

Horrific conversion though. 16 x the spend for 1 avios on Amex.

With TCB at 7% on Expedia and introductory 3 month Amex Platinum 5% cash back offers I am just card hopping for cash back now instead of miles hunting.

Amex Credit Limits (aka. No preset spending limit) is about 130% your highest monthly spend across all cards regardless of colour. You can apply for a new card every 3 months and there are nearly 2 dozen in the portfolio.

Comment

Generally use AMEx because its the best cashback but as other have said its not always accepted. Ive got a santander 123 mastercard which is cracking for overseas (0%).

But never thought of using one for points/miles for things like CT and VAT. So, apart from the tesco one, any other recommendations?
              Not that keen on tesco clubcard to be honest - used to be good but now its crap apart from the fact you can convert to avios.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Good on you! Back to where we started, you can buy prepaid cards valid at loads of stores up to 400GBP at the PO and also valid as Visa online. So churn away. Stack with TCP if using Argos. I am looking at a three day old 499GBP TV that cost me 63GBP though I bought the prepaid Visa's at (PM me), Samsung 40ïnch curvy thing.

The silliest one I got involved in was the FB selling new currency to you with no postage charges. The Rotal Mint did it for a while but cottoned on quickly. I did well on both.
                Are you achieving full on MS with your pre-paid cards or just moving spend to AMEX?

Comment

So the tesco pre-paid visa - is it just £50 it comes in? Do you buy them in store or online?

So I guess buy with amex, so you're getting the cashback there PLUS the tesco clubcard points. Am I right?

PITA if its only £50 though if you're buying something expensive. For paying VAT/CT, can you make multiple payments? Not sure if I want to sit there though and type in hundreds of credit card numbers. (If its £50, its 200 per £10K).
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Come on over to Flyertalk
                    I wish I'd known about Flyertalk late last year. I missed BA gold by just 20 points. Then I discover forum threads dedicated to the cheapest way to pick up the last few points

As for Avios, what do people do with them? Every now and again when booking, the BA website offers me a few quid off in exchange for Avios. I've never booked a 'reward' flight using only Avios. I'm sure it's small beer compared to some of you but I have 200,000 Avios and I just can't seem to spend them.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                      I wish I'd known about Flyertalk late last year. I missed BA gold by just 20 points. Then I discover forum threads dedicated to the cheapest way to pick up the last few points

As for Avios, what do people do with them? Every now and again when booking, the BA website offers me a few quid off in exchange for Avios. I've never booked a 'reward' flight using only Avios. I'm sure it's small beer compared to some of you but I have 200,000 Avios and I just can't seem to spend them.
                      Avios | The UK travel reward scheme | Avios

25 cases of wine then.

Go and look at Avios site itself. BA.COM Avios is interchangeable with the Avios website & you can xfer them back and forth. There's loads of stuff you can spend them on on there from wine, experiences, days out / holidays / hotels. It's not just flights.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X