• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Welcome to Sainsburys

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I had a Saturday job in a supermarket for a short time when much younger. For anyone I deemed to be a twat, I'd scan their fragile items first and hurl heavier objects down in quick succession after.

Got sacked after two weeks but it was worth it.
    I've always had a very good relationship with the slow girls on the tills at Sainsburys thank you very much.

It's just one of those physics defining phenomena.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
      While I'm at it...

Have you noticed that no matter in what order one places one's purchases on the conveyor belt at the checkout (i.e. heavy items first, fragile ones last) the first item to be rung through the till will always be the carton of eggs or the carton of cream
      and if you buy one of those three foot long French baguettes, the checkout operator always slings them on the shute so the open end scrapes along it!

(I usually forget to keep an eye on it and tell them to hand it to me.)
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

had a Saturday job in a supermarket for a short time when much younger
        Had a school holiday job at Sainsburys once, it was much smaller then. Got a whole £11.72p a week.

PS No couldn't have been 72p, it was shillings and pence back then. Had a 7 in it anyway.
        Last edited by xoggoth; 21 February 2017, 16:32.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Had a school holiday job at Sainsburys once, it was much smaller then. Got a whole £11.72p a week.

PS No couldn't have been 72p, it was shillings and pence back then. Had a 7 in it anyway.
          Had an evening & weekend job in Budgens when I was about 16 on £1.69 p/h. Which is about the same as anyone contracting in public sector IT will be on, post April.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

While we are reminiscing about Sainsbury's, our local one used to be the Dalston branch, and it was a point of pride that it reputedly had the highest violent crime rate of any supermarket in the UK. But it wasn't as scary as the Falls Road, Belfast branch, which has the signage translated into Irish, presumably because one of the lads has had a word.

Comment

Sainsbury used to post a league table of items per minute that the cashiers were scanning. There was then a decree come down from the top that rather than speed, focus on making sure that you go at the same pace as the customer is packing their shopping.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Sainsbury used to post a league table of items per minute that the cashiers were scanning. There was then a decree come down from the top that rather than speed, focus on making sure that you go at the same pace as the customer is packing their shopping.
                Yep, the bags should be packed up before they deal with the next customer.
                They do that at my local Sainsburys.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                  I had a Saturday job in a supermarket for a short time when much younger. For anyone I deemed to be a twat, I'd scan their fragile items first and hurl heavier objects down in quick succession after. ...
                  And it has defined your working career ever since!

I worked as a trolley pusher for Prestos (...'ere mate, want any trolley's for the weekend?...). £1.39 an hour and all the 10ps we could find left in the trolleys.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    And it has defined your working career ever since!

I worked as a trolley pusher for Prestos (...'ere mate, want any trolley's for the weekend?...). £1.39 an hour and all the 10ps we could find left in the trolleys.
                    What happened to Prestos, anyone remember? I remember them from the early 80's and they just disappeared. Did they get taken over?
                    Come to think of it, there was also Gateway and Victor Value. Ah, nostalgia...
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                      What happened to Prestos, anyone remember? I remember them from the early 80's and they just disappeared. Did they get taken over?
                      Come to think of it, there was also Gateway and Victor Value. Ah, nostalgia...
                      Presto were acquired by Argyll, who also bought Safeway and badged all Presto stores as Safeway.

Gateway rebranded as Somerfield then were bought by the Co-op, but many were sold on.

Victor Value were bought by Tesco and the smaller stores flogged on again.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X