• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Outside a contact, I can never only code.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    It's because you hAve no discipline. Hth. MF
    Oh I have some discipline ... short term memory on the other hand ? hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by europetractor View Post
      I thought I was happy .... .. but as I have grown little older...... IT and code is no longer the passion .. it has turned into work that requires our precious energy and time ... and I thought I was better than this...
      Oi feck off and leave my self loathing alone.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        I'm drunk and bored so should I write a stupid long post?
        Not sure it's the drink ... I think it might be the 'psychedelics'
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by europetractor View Post
          long live THC
          Smoking weed is bad for programmers (generally). This is because to be a good programmer you must be a bit obsessive. To work out all the edge cases is not a normal way of thinking. Most people see the happy path only. Programmers focus on the exception case because the happy path is straightforward. Programmers must always focus in the negative in a problem space. The kind of person drawn to this is prone to anxiety, and OCD. And that kind of person should stay away from weed.

Existential thinking has no place in contract programming. The best you can do is turn boring problems into interesting ones by applying clever solutions. Programming is a search for truth, like chess, and it's about reducing the number of moving parts to a minimum- so you can manage risk. This is the opposite to the mind wandering existentialism you are exploring with strong weed and psychedelics.
          You will find no answers, only more questions.
          Last edited by Fronttoback; 23 February 2017, 09:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
            Smoking weed is bad for programmers (generally). This is because to be a good programmer you must be a bit obsessive. To work out all the edge cases is not a normal way of thinking. Most people see the happy path only. Programmers focus on the exception case because the happy path is straightforward. Programmers must always focus in the negative in a problem space. The kind of person drawn to this is prone to anxiety, and OCD. And that kind of person should stay away from weed.

Existential thinking has no place in contract programming. The best you can do is turn boring problems into interesting ones by applying clever solutions. Programming is a search for truth, like chess, and it's about reducing the number of moving parts to a minimum- so you can manage risk. This is the opposite to the mind wandering existentialism you are exploring with strong weed and psychedelics.
            Cool story Bro.

So, you smoked weed and had a psychotic episode?

In drug takers circles you would be known as just another "lightweight".

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              Cool story Bro.

In CUK General you would be known as just another "lightweight".

FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                Cool story Bro.

In drug takers circles you would be known as just another "lightweight".

You're best off out of it mate. Couple of puckers and a bit of billy at Sundance doesn't qualify you to advise.

Have you got your Fred Perry on today? Get a grip.

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
                  You're best off out of it mate. Couple of puckers and a bit of billy at Sunrise doesn't qualify you to advise.

Have you got your Fred Perry on today? Get a grip.
                  LMAO.

Some of us did other things prior to contracting.

I worked with a lot of music people all the over the world at the time.

Therefore, I would suggest that having seen most things, I'm better qualified to comment than most, so run along there's a good boy
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Really struggle to look at code if I'm not billing for it..

Comment

There is just so much to learn in between contracts. We as developers are always automating things and in effect we are working to destroy our profession by steadily shifting it to AI. So there is more programmers out of work and there is always more and more frameworks to learn. This results in a constant need to study in between contracts at the expense of your own health. For that reason I have been trying to move away from the profession of IT learning ... with no success.

Comment

Working...
                      X