• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car insurance questions after a road incident!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lorry scratched my car in June and drove on without stopping. Noted down license plate. Police found him passed information on to insurer and now 8 months later still no refund of my £450 access and insurer isn't bothered to do anything. Calling them every two weeks for an update and all I get are lame excuses. Have NCP but one more accident and it's gone.
    Do not insure your cars at Direct Line NEVER EVER

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Why did you tell the insurance in the first place?

Always keep insurance out of it unless you absolutely have to.

Allegedly I ran into the back of a car once and paid for the damage to their car and mine. I pointed out they could go through insurance - but the damage was probably less than the excess. They moaned, God knows why, however accepted it.
      You wouldn't get away with that now, there'd be an army of ambulance chasers involved, with their whiplash claims and God knows what else.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
        Hi All

I recently involved in a road 'incident' where by car's bonnet got opened while driving and windshield got smashed and bonnet damaged (no other car involved). I was having a perfect driving history with 10 years + NCB. But looks like this incident ruined all that!! I didn't had NCB protected. This incident happened 10 miles away from my home so definitely I didn't keep my bonnet open from home.

What are the options I have..?? My car is under repair with garage arranged by my insurance firm.

Q1. Since this is an incident not caused by my fault can I still have by NCB intact..? If so what I need to prove it is not my fault..? Should I get my car manufacturer involved as well..?? How could I get them to take some responsibility as it was caused by a fault in car. My car was regularly serviced by mail dealer as well.

Q2. My insurer asked me to pay the excess and remaining cost will be covered by them. Will they allow me to keep my NCB intact if I pay the full repair cost..??

Q3. Damage is mainly to the windscreen and bonnet. Normally windscreen damages will not affect NCB though in this case bonnet also got damaged.

Q4. I was in the process of selling this car as part exchange for my new car. My worry is due to this incident my car will show in any database as a car involved in an accident..?? and my new car dealer could refuse to accept this as part exchange car..? Mine is not write off - Bonnet an d windshield replacement only.

Please help if anyone had any experience closer to this and any helpful suggestions ..?? thanks.
        I can only hope that your testing is not as bad as your driving.

HTH
        BIDI
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by WageSlave View Post
          And who are you?
          That's unfair.

It wasn't his driving at fault but the ability to maintain his car.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Most of cars got a security latch after removing that only bonnet can be opened. Toyota Avensis also got that but it seems it failed or due to vibrations bonnet got released.

New cars like new Merc A class get dash warning if bonnet gets opened while driving.

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Not necessarily. Speed, road surface, wind, lots of things could have been the final trigger in causing it to fly open. Most car bonnets are heavy enough to stay down if you're driving slowly even if they are not fully closed.

Comment

Toyota Avensis 2011 model

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
              Renault Clio, per chance?

Comment

If I take courtesy car from body repairer are they going to delay repair so that they can charge insurer for courtesy car for longer..?? Any one had that sort of experience form insurance company's repairers..?? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
                  If I take courtesy car from body repairer are they going to delay repair so that they can charge insurer for courtesy car for longer..?? Any one had that sort of experience form insurance company's repairers..?? thanks
                  What happens is the insurance company chooses the cheapest company to do the repair. They send an someone out to authorise the repairs every week or two weeks. The repairs are then done. The repairs are inspected, and if they aren't good enough they are redone.

This may take the less than the full time you have your courtesy car available to you for or longer. If it takes longer than you have to sort out getting another car.

The car hire company who provides the courtesy car get less from the insurer than if you hired the car yourself.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                  X