• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Strategic place to buy property, preparing for a post Brexit world

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
    Nobody buys "a" property to let for 800k, at least nobody in their right mind... I would be looking at three smaller units for around 250k each with a 50k float for repairs etc.

If you're looking for a good investment for a home then stick to the nicer areas with some sort feature that keeps them nicer - places like Windsor or Winchester, if you're looking for pure investment stick to places with bouyant rental markets, university towns etc. or maybe holiday towns with reasonably high transit of temp workers. Bournemouth seem to offer a lot of bang and rental return for your buck.

If you're buying your "forever" house now but want to rent it for a couple of years maybe consider holiday homes. Friend of mine has his gaff on the market for 1.25mil, let's it as an air b'n'b for a grand a time and stays on his yacht. 800k, maybe over two houses, should return around 25-30k each per annum and holiday makers don't generally have enough time to arse up your property.
    It's actually going to be our main home for the next 2 years - and then my only foothold in the Uk.
    I'm actually veering to an area I know and like: Balham. My BTL there didn't have a void for 7 years, so I know there's good demand.
    800K will only get you a flat though (a nice one), although that may better for eventual rental.
    Not that greedy about eventual rental rates, there's no mortgage on it, would prefer to rent it to a friend for less than going rate.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      would prefer to rent it to a friend for less than going rate.
      anyone see a problem with that?
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        anyone see a problem with that?
        No I don't think anyone does, most people being more intelligent than you
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          It's actually going to be our main home for the next 2 years - and then my only foothold in the Uk.
          I'm actually veering to an area I know and like: Balham. My BTL there didn't have a void for 7 years, so I know there's good demand.
          800K will only get you a flat though (a nice one), although that may better for eventual rental.
          Not that greedy about eventual rental rates, there's no mortgage on it, would prefer to rent it to a friend for less than going rate.
          Balham/Wandsworth/Lavender Hill all very nice if you're living the city lifestyle and want to spend your evenings in wine-bars with city *******.

Personally I have found that as I get older I want to move away from all that and have a slightly more genteel existence. Buy a house in the middle of Winchester/Canterbury/Windsor. Great places to eat/drink, commutable if you need to, very rentable, and won't go out of fashion. You'll get a lot more than "a flat albeit a nice one" for your cash too, get yourself a big town house with no garden so you can just lock up and leave if you need to.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
            Nobody buys "a" property to let for 800k, at least nobody in their right mind...
            You DID clock who the poster was? Herr Mitty................
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              Nuclear bunker raid finds £1m cannabis farm - BBC News

Good for a Plan B
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Wow that was a big set up, someone must have turned them in.

I would fight to have one of the licenses post a change in the law though.
                A license to print money
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                X