• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Strategic place to buy property, preparing for a post Brexit world

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Straits of Gibraltar about as strategic as it gets for U.K. properties I would expect. HTHBIDI
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Sovereign bases at Akrotiri and Dhekelia will have good access to EU jobs, but not sure you can buy property there.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Assuming the worst (say, a 9% fall in GDP) what would the best place to buy property to let in the UK be?

I was thinking Bishops Stortford - pleasant market town with good schools, close to the City, close to Cambridge, close to Stansted (hence 3 possible centres of differing types of employment).

Any other suggestions?
        Since it's all a fantasy in your sad little head, I will suggest you move here:

8 bed detached house for sale in Woodrow, Hatton Hill, Windlesham GU20 - 40724542 - Zoopla

Nice area, good transport links to London.

Comment

Any other suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            Newry is only 60 minutes by train into Dublin, assuming no border checks.
            And this is only about 60 minutes from Newry:

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            It looks a lot better since they gave it a lick of paint. It used to be grey.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Since it's all a fantasy in your sad little head, I will suggest you move here:

8 bed detached house for sale in Woodrow, Hatton Hill, Windlesham GU20 - 40724542 - Zoopla

Nice area, good transport links to London.
              It's only dropped £4million in a year.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Since it's all a fantasy in your sad little head
                You still shagging loads of birds and earning 600 a day doing Bob work while coining thousands from the stock market?

Sadly my budget is only about 800K, the difference being added to my fighting fund ....
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Sadly my budget is only about 800K, the difference being added to my fighting fund ....
                  3 Bed semi in Sluff it is then.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    Newry is only 60 minutes by train into Dublin, assuming no border checks.
                    That's 60 minutes too close. Have you ever been to Newry?

Comment

Assuming the worst (say, a 9% fall in GDP) what would the best place to buy property to let in the UK be?

I was thinking Bishops Stortford - pleasant market town with good schools, close to the City, close to Cambridge, close to Stansted (hence 3 possible centres of differing types of employment).

Any other suggestions?

Nobody buys "a" property to let for 800k, at least nobody in their right mind... I would be looking at three smaller units for around 250k each with a 50k float for repairs etc.

If you're looking for a good investment for a home then stick to the nicer areas with some sort feature that keeps them nicer - places like Windsor or Winchester, if you're looking for pure investment stick to places with bouyant rental markets, university towns etc. or maybe holiday towns with reasonably high transit of temp workers. Bournemouth seem to offer a lot of bang and rental return for your buck.

If you're buying your "forever" house now but want to rent it for a couple of years maybe consider holiday homes. Friend of mine has his gaff on the market for 1.25mil, let's it as an air b'n'b for a grand a time and stays on his yacht. 800k, maybe over two houses, should return around 25-30k each per annum and holiday makers don't generally have enough time to arse up your property.

Comment

Working...
                      X