• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I get my lad a car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    The whole box thing is not as clear and simple as they make it look.
    My son had one fitted in his car - the insurer gave up on the program after a year. The data gathered from the GPS and accelerometers just weren't clear enough. The idea was that if you drove with lower acceleration/deceleration/cornering you were a safer driver, and got a discount. Trouble was, everyone was in the same range of values - there was no statistically significant difference between different drivers. I did like the idea of it acting as a black-box in the event of an accident though.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      And that's part of the lesson. If his lad is sat on his arse at home, CBA to work and a car appears what's he learned? How's his attitude changed? What value does he attach to that car?
      If he was like that I would totally agree, it would be an easy decision !
      He has been picking up some bits of work and sells Ebay stuff for quite a few people but his job is to pass A-levels and he is doing that to a level I am happy with.
      I am up with making him aware of what the numbers actually look like and making sure he has some 'skin in the game' so it's not on a plate, it's a tough one though...

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
        He has been picking up some bits of work and sells Ebay stuff for quite a few people but his job is to pass A-levels and he is doing that to a level I am happy with.
        I am up with making him aware of what the numbers actually look like and making sure he has some 'skin in the game' so it's not on a plate, it's a tough one though...
        If 90% of a car turns up and he has to get it road-worthy, there's a nice carrot to dangle for him (assuming you're prepared to risk having a car sit there for a year and not move!)
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
          Whatever car it is, get a safe one. A girl at school was in a crash, two broken legs, arm, collar bone. She was cut out of the vehicle. Fireman said her parents saved her life by buying her a Volvo.
          This.

I bought my kids new cars. Sorry, I want them safe. Nothing flash, NCAP 5 star ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
            Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but it's every students jobs to pass their A levels. If he wants a car he's got to work harder for it. If that means putting a bit of extra graft in but not affecting his A levels then so be it. Maybe I was brought up differently but to say you can't do a Saturday or Sunday in a job because you are doing A levels smacks of the snowflake generation. He's got a year to define the rest of his life. They can give up a night buggering about with his mates (which mine seemed to have plenty of time to do!) if he wants a car and A levels. It's called graft. He'll hate it but it will pay off when he's at uni and the others can't do it.

Life got too easy for kids round here once they shut the mines.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've always thought it could be worth going for the advance tutoring after they pass, speed awareness (ideally before they get done for it), even getting them on a race track to understand when and when not to use speed.

Mind that, they'll be driving themselves by the time my two start learning.

They can have an X-34 Landspeeder, not in demand much since the XP-38 came out so should pick one up cheap.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but it's every students jobs to pass their A levels. If he wants a car he's got to work harder for it. If that means putting a bit of extra graft in but not affecting his A levels then so be it. Maybe I was brought up differently but to say you can't do a Saturday or Sunday in a job because you are doing A levels smacks of the snowflake generation. He's got a year to define the rest of his life. They can give up a night buggering about with his mates (which mine seemed to have plenty of time to do!) if he wants a car and A levels. It's called graft. He'll hate it but it will pay off when he's at uni and the others can't do it.

Agreed.

If he can't work at the weekend for a few hours then he can work in the summer holidays.

Also if you as a parent know people there will be someone in your circle who will give or get him a job for a few hours on a weekend day.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Never thought I would say this but thanks a lot all, good advice really helped me out !!

Done a deal with my lad, whatever he can earn and save for a car, I will give him the same amount again and help him with the insurance, he was made up with this.
                  He is starting a weekend job and already put a spreadsheet together, researching starter cars, insurance etc.

I think it's a good compromise from just handing it on a plate which I had significant concerns about, especially after seeing my 2 brothers kids...

Comment

Your mam says you took an evening job during your A levels and ended up with two E's and syphilis.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                      Whatever car it is, get a safe one. A girl at school was in a crash, two broken legs, arm, collar bone. She was cut out of the vehicle. Fireman said her parents saved her life by buying her a Volvo.
                      ^This.

Car accident involving a lad from my daughter's school. He was killed. Just awful.

My daughter saved up for a car (she got a weekend job, aged 16). I topped up the savings with a loan. She got a 2002 VW Polo which is built like a tank. Lasted her while she learnt and for several years afterwards. I did help with MOT and repair costs.

I don't think the loan will ever be paid back, but she still considers the money outstanding, and I think that's an important principle.

EDIT: my folks bought me a car at 18. I wrecked it 18 days later. Easy come, easy go - something I've tried (not always successfully) to avoid with my kids.

Comment

Working...
                      X