• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Net migration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Oddly I put that picture up and stopped drinking vodka.
    Beers better, in the main, trust me.....

I'm a professional
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Oddly I put that picture up and stopped drinking vodka.

Comment

You can prevent therapy only if you stop drinking.

Comment

Originally posted by darryle View Post
          You can prevent therapy only if you stop drinking.
          Nah, everyone should go to group therapy....

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
            We don't have control of borders.

We don't have control of who we trade with.

We don't have control of the way the rebate we receive from the EU is spent in the UK.

If there is an eu army we won't control that. The unelected commission will no doubt allocate themselves.

If the proposal for centralisation if income tax is adopted we won't control that.

We don't control the final judgement on legal matters.
            And after Brexit:

We'll have a little more control of borders but there's no reason to expect it will affect immigration nor the criminality of immigrants. What's funny is that Switzerland within the EU rules on freedom of movement, within Schengen, seems to have more control over its borders and immigrants than the UK currently has.

We''ll have just as much control over who we trade with. Britain already trades with countries all over the world. The country with whom we have the second highest trade deficit is China. After Brexit, we'll be able to define our own trade agreements, true - but there's no reason to expect that they'll be any better than what we have now.

We won't have a rebate, so we'll have nothing to control.

If <speculation on things that have been mooted, but there's no reason to think particularly they'll come to pass>. Post brexit we will have no control over what the EU decide. A self-evident truth.

We won't control final judgement on legal matters, because leaving the EU doesn't take us out the European Convention of Human Rights - so we'll still be subject to the European Court of Human Rights. Withdrawal from ECHR is an entirely separate subject from leaving the EU. Russia and Turkey are signatories to the ECHR - they're not EU.

TL;DR - While there were some good reasons to leave the EU (but in my view the benefit of those is massively outweighed by the drawbacks), "taking back control" wasn't one of them. That was merely a sound bite to rally the troops, appeal to the stupid, but with no real meaning.
            As per the original post, you tell us why having 27 other countries making decisions on what we do is a good for the uk.
            Can't. Because the EU is not about 27 other countries make decisions on what we do. It is about 28 countries deciding together what we (the EU) do. After Brexit, many things the EU decide will affect Britain - but we'll have no control over those decisions.

I could explain it point by point and so can other people who voted remain, but you don't listen to facts and have no understanding that concepts of a form of governance vary.
            FTFY. Still, I've made the attempt for him. Maybe one day the penny will drop. I doubt it, but hope springs eternal.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
            X