• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Been hired as the scapegoat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been hired as the scapegoat

Guy who hired me is in charge of reviewing something, something that he has already rubber stamped and said is ok, and now I am in the frame as the guy to carry this outstanding governance onwards, main problem being that its a certain failure

Arghh

1. Make him plus any other stakeholders aware of the issues in writing as soon as they appear or you can reasonably predict them. Use plain concise English.
    2. Plan your escape route and use it.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
      Guy who hired me is in charge of reviewing something, something that he has already rubber stamped and said is ok, and now I am in the frame as the guy to carry this outstanding governance onwards, main problem being that its a certain failure

Arghh
      Welcome to the club. Hope the rate is good and ensure you have alternatives ready for when it gets too hot.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        1. Make him plus any other stakeholders aware of the issues in writing as soon as they appear or you can reasonably predict them. Use plain concise English.
        2. Plan your escape route and use it.
        And keep hard copy. I have been in this position and not been able to access my email when I was binned. Learnt a hard (read 15K) lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
          And keep hard copy. I have been in this position and not been able to access my email when I was binned. Learnt a hard (read 15K) lesson.
          I send important info to my business email account. One client didn't like it at all but their security people had no issue with it as it was my own domain. Obviously if you are in a bank or a defence organisation you can't do that but every other industry it's a valid option.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Arghh
            I think we've all been lied to and inherited a toxic project. Everyone around you knows it's doomed as well so you're often on your own as they run for cover.

Four choices:
            1. Work out diligently exactly what resources and expertise you need to bring it back on track. These will be denied and you'll get blamed when the project fails.
            2. Work 80 hours a week trying to turn things around, burning yourself out in the process. Get blamed anyway.
            3. Open the kimono: let everyone know what a mess you've inherited and that the project is doomed. Get blamed anyway.
            4. Run for the hills.

Good luck.

Comment

Arghh
              Why is it a certain failure?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                I send important info to my business email account. One client didn't like it at all but their security people had no issue with it as it was my own domain. Obviously if you are in a bank or a defence organisation you can't do that but every other industry it's a valid option.
                As long as it is mails of a non detailed nature you should be fine.

One problematic one I had though, they were not interested in the initial advisory mails I had originally sent, from my business account, to a Client Co director, regarding upgrading a non-supported component on the system.
                When it started to go wrong, as predicted, it was then somehow deemed my fault, even with the "evidence" provided by me.

They then decided to extend me, just for a month, I then left after getting a higher paid role somewhere else, that peed them off even more.

What a fecking shame
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Arghh
                  I call that 'work'.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    Why is it a certain failure?
                    Because CoolCat is doing it?
                    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                    X