• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Brits hurrying to become German citizens

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    Thanks fountain of knowledge. I'll wait for the facts rather than your constant surmising as to the course of the UK economy.
    The facts are present already for those who wish to analyse them.
    For those who cannot or will not, there's always the hoping against hope and trusting to luck "strategy" that is usally followed by the flaky.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      The facts are present already for those who wish to analyse them.
      For those who cannot or will not, there's always the hoping against hope and trusting to luck "strategy" that is usally followed by the flaky.
      I've heard of this fella who thinks the UK is going down the toilet and so sold his three houses – it’s going to be very bad he repeatedly tells us. Unusually he then decides to reinvest his funds from his main property - £800K - back into the failing UK.

He also claims that shorting Sterling is a one-way bet, yet surprisingly, only puts a 'small amount' on this bet. However, he’s totally convinced he’s right.

He's also off to another European country whose economy isn't in particularly good health - well that's what he says. Despite being so bright - he fills hours of his day posting abuse pointing just how clever he is compared to the rest. Realistically anyone who had just retired (or on the cusp of doing so), minted and supremely bright would be doing anything but such things.

Comment

I've heard of this fella who thinks the UK is going down the toilet and so sold his three houses – it’s going to be very bad he repeatedly tells us. Unusually he then decides to reinvest his funds from his main property - £800K - back into the failing UK.

He also claims that shorting Sterling is a one-way bet, yet surprisingly, only puts a 'small amount' on this bet. However, he’s totally convinced he’s right.

He's also off to another European country whose economy isn't in particularly good health - well that's what he says. Despite being so bright - he fills hours of his day posting abuse pointing just how clever he is compared to the rest. Realistically anyone who had just retired (or on the cusp of doing so), minted and supremely bright would be doing anything but such things.

Well as usual you've totally misunderstood - or wilfully misprepresented - what I'm doing and my situtation.
        Suffice to say that I'm now happy I have options should things go south
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Well as usual you've totally misunderstood - or wilfully misprepresented - what I'm doing and my situtation.
          Suffice to say that I'm now happy I have options should things go south
          Feel free to clarify what I've misunderstood. I'm pretty sure I'm spot on and equally sure you'll not set the record straight. Instead you'll just post some curt reply and a couple of emojis.

Comment

Feel free to clarify what I've misunderstood. I'm pretty sure I'm spot on and equally sure you'll not set the record straight. Instead you'll just post some curt reply and a couple of emojis.
            Ok.

1. I haven't "reinvested" back in the Uk. I've sold my BTLs and looking to downsize main residence (which is too big for needs) anway. All in order to have a fighting fund.

2. I'm not an investor in the currency markets. I also think stock picking is a mug's game, so I invest in index funds (basically agree with Burton Malkiel). BUt whatever cash is uninvested (which isn't much) is in USD. I don't see any upside to Sterling in the near to medium term.

3. My ultimate goal is to retire to Portugal. As I won't be working there I don't care how it fares economically. Indeed the cheaper things are the better. However that's a 5-10 year plan (I'm not yet 50) so would still like to generate cash.

HTH, BIDI.
            Last edited by sasguru; 27 February 2017, 13:06.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Or perhaps that more Brits will decide to ply their knowledge on home turf? Why not come and join us?
              Well with the public sector contractor market imploding it's perhaps not that attractive.

Tech contractors begin mass UK.gov exodus in wake of HMRC's IR35 income tax clampdown • The Register
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

What did SAS and Scooter boy go on about before Brexit?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  What did SAS and Scooter boy go on about before Brexit?
                  What didn't they?
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Well with the public sector contractor market imploding it's perhaps not that attractive.

Tech contractors begin mass UK.gov exodus in wake of HMRC's IR35 income tax clampdown • The Register
                    Don't panic, Crapita have offered to take on the work. What can possibly go wrong?
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Did you know for example that 80% of manufacturing firms in Britain with employees of a hundred or more are foreign-owned? ...
                      And?

If they're all based in the UK it's because employment law is more favourable for them here than elsewhere in the EU, despite the EU's best efforts to "harmonise" it.

So post Brexit there will be even more incentive for them to stay in the UK (assuming Labour don't get in and feck up everything by destroying with misguided legislation what little competitive advantage we have).
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X