• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How does freelance software development contracting in US differ from that in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does freelance software development contracting in US differ from that in the UK

Background
    I have done 5 years of software development as an independent contractor in the UK, after working in permanent posts for 10 years. I now want to pursue contracting work in the US. I am a US citizen so visas, etc. are not a problem.

In the UK I have contracted onsite out of my own limited company, of which I am director and sole employee. I have paid IR35 tax on temporally-defined contracts (e.g. "Senior Java and Scala Developer, London, 6 months, salary £X / day"). On some contracts I have been the sole contractor hired; on larger projects, especially in London, I might work on a larger Agile team of say 4 other backenders and 15 developers altogether.

I have been hired primarily because I am an experienced developer with solid general--not extremely expert or specialized skills.

Question
    Is the contracting arrangement I describe above to be found in the US? How does US contracting typically differ?

--For example, which US tax/company structure is most similar? I see W2, W4 schemes offered. Do US contractors set up 1-person companies like their UK counterparts often do?

--Are contractor wages comparable? For example, the large UK job sites indicate typical salaries: Java and Scala contract developer, £520/day.

--Are contractors in the US typically hired onto teams, or individually?

--Are temporally-defined contracts frequently done in the US; or are 3rd party contracts for deliverables more common?

--Are contractors in the US more frequently hired only as expert consultants?

Any perspectives, comments or advice on contracting in the US is greatly appreciated and welcome!

It differs in the following ways....

You've got to group hug at the end of meetings
    You've got to high 5/fist bump every 30 minutes
    You've got to order your skinny vanilla mocha frappuchino by saying 'Can I get a...'
    You've got to call everyone 'dude'

HTH
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I think you need a US site to answer those questions. How would people in the UK know the details of how contracting works in the States?
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Hilarious! (and v. possibly true)

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          I think you need a US site to answer those questions. How would people in the UK know the details of how contracting works in the States?
          Perhaps there are more like me, with experience working in both places.

Comment

Originally posted by contractingMan View Post
            Perhaps there are more like me, with experience working in both places.
            Nah...
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              It differs in the following ways....

You've got to group hug at the end of meetings
              You've got to high 5/fist bump every 30 minutes
              You've got to order your skinny vanilla mocha frappuchino by saying 'Can I get a...'
              You've got to call everyone 'dude'

HTH
              Unfortunately this applies to London too. Quite how a barista has never replied, "no, stay there. I'll get it and give it to you. It's my job" I'll never know. Amazing patience with these southern idiots.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

MF has been to the other place......
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I would have thought being a US Citizen you would have known more than most on here.

Or maybe I'm missing something.

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Contracting's considered a very poor mans option in the US compared to perm.

HTH.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X