• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Snowflake education

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I like to tell my sprogs that. Winds them up no end. Though quite happy with my first born's A*s.
    Old times old exams....

Though there were no A*s in my days.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      I like to tell my sprogs that. Winds them up no end. Though quite happy with my first born's O level B equivalents.
      FTFY - BTW grades change next year to 1-9 instead of G-A*. 7 will be the equivalent of an A, 8 A* and 9 the very best.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        FTFY - BTW grades change next year to 1-9 instead of G-A*. 7 will be the equivalent of an A, 8 A* and 9 the very best.
        How can there be anything above an A*? It's like having the volume controls on your stereo going up to 11 rather than 10, it's still the highest setting no matter what the number is.

Comment

Always thought it was tiered based on your expected grades:

Higher paper -> below C is a fail

Foundation paper -> maximum achievable grade is a C

28,000 a year they should probably have let daddy know what to expect right...?

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            That's even worse. In my day it was O levels, and everything below a C was regarded as a fail.

(Mordy in Mode)
            Or CSE grade 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              That's even worse. In my day it was O levels, and everything below a C was regarded as a fail.
              At O-level, everything below a C was a fail.

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Old times old exams....

Though there were no A*s in my days.
              We had special papers (S-levels) for the super-smart. Do they still have them?
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Maybe the school's progressive ethos didn't help. What's needed is a return to more traditional teaching methods ..

2017-02-28 Crowds laugh as cruel father dangles his distraught son, seven, above a RIVER to 'make him study maths'

• A father tied his seven years old son to a tree branch over a river in Sichuan

• Onlookers did not stop him but only laughed along and filmed the incident

• It's been reported the man wanted to make his son do calculations properly
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
                  This one's been run over by a feckin lawnmower too.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    Maybe the school's progressive ethos didn't help. What's needed is a return to more traditional teaching methods ..

2017-02-28 Crowds laugh as cruel father dangles his distraught son, seven, above a RIVER to 'make him study maths'
                    Least the kid won't be a gardener when he's 18.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Archimedes is a bit advanced for a 7 year-old, even by Chinese standards.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X