• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using Ltd Company Property as collateral for a buy-to-let

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Ltd Company Property as collateral for a buy-to-let

I have a Ltd company that both my wife and and work through and are joint 50:50 Directors. Using company profits we used the Ltd company to purchase a property 4 years ago in Spain. We use it every month and declare it as a benefit in kind as it's not let out.

We would like to use this property as collateral for another property purchase through the Ltd company. This time we'd like use a buy-to-let to start building up a small portfolio.

The plan once this starts generating revenue is to have any new contract roles put through a new Ltd company to avoid any issues with IR35/HMRC/being sued and the like. The original Ltd company would then purely be for property investment.

Has anyone got any experience of doing this or can recommend any accountants to get some advice from?

Converting YourCo into a SPV for property seems like a good idea.

The first thing I'd do is speak to a broker about this.

Depending on the relative values of VillaInTheSun and HovelsForPoorPeople, cross collateralisation may work, but the fact that properties will be in different countries may preclude this.

The easiest answer is probably to take out a mortgage on VillaInTheSun and use that to to fund (a) deposit(s) on property in the UK.

See previous reference to broker.

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
      Converting YourCo into a SPV for property seems like a good idea.

The first thing I'd do is speak to a broker about this.

Depending on the relative values of VillaInTheSun and HovelsForPoorPeople, cross collateralisation may work, but the fact that properties will be in different countries may preclude this.

The easiest answer is probably to take out a mortgage on VillaInTheSun and use that to to fund (a) deposit(s) on property in the UK.

See previous reference to broker.
      Excellent, thanks for the info. When you talk about a broker are you talking about a property broker or loan/mortgage broker?

Comment

Working...
      X