• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Harrowing Beggars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    If you know about it why are you acting surprised about it?
    That's exactly my point. I've never really seen people using their deformities to beg for money before. Beggars, yes but not this.

I understand it's commonplace in India but I've never been there.

And I'm surprised because I'm seeing this in Europe.

As an aside, I think it's safe to say they're Roma....

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Mournful looking mutts on a rope are another valued begging asset.
      Funny thing is with dogs and even cats who want to follow their owner, it is better for the animal. Most dogs and cats have fur coats that are suitable to living outside and they would rather be with their owners all the time then stuck in a garden or a room somewhere on their own.
      Last edited by SueEllen; 2 March 2017, 13:55.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Mournful looking mutts on a rope are another valued begging asset.
        Crusties.

I believe my home town of Bath has the honour of having introduced this phenomenon to the world.

They ain't there no more though. Probably not to the taste of the many stuck up Londoners who live round here these days....

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post

They ain't there no more though. Probably not to the taste of the many stuck up Londoners who live round here these days....
          Maybe it's because animal rescues won't give them the dogs and other dogs are too expensive.

Comment

Maybe it's because animal rescues won't give them the dogs and other dogs are too expensive.
            Hmmm...inneresting.

Theres plenty with dogs in Reading though.

Comment

Funny thing is with dogs and even cats who want to follow their owner,...
              Street cat named bob is a good read. A most unusual cat. It also explains (the book, not the cat) how the whole Big Issue selling works.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Street cat named bob is a good read. A most unusual cat. It also explains (the book, not the cat) how the whole Big Issue selling works.
                Ta, I'll give that a read. I used to assume that the Big Issue was there to offer temporary help to people wanting to move off the streets and into employment, but there is a Big Issue seller in my town who has been doing it for at least 16 years now.
                England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

One in our town who's been doing it quite a few years. Mind you, she does look rather growly so I forgive her,
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
                    Hmmm...inneresting. ...
                    Aaagh - There it is again! I'm getting flashbacks now.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
                      Hmmm...inneresting.

Theres plenty with dogs in Reading though.
                      1. You can buy the dog
                      2. Get it given to you
                      3. Have a stray befriend you - as a student some friendly stray dog followed me and my flatmates around for the day. (We were stupid and stroked it.) We thought it belonged to the halls bar owner as it kept going into the hall bar and coming out again. We mentioned to someone else we knew and she decided to take it home to her parents.
                      4. Steal it - most of the dogs tied up outside supermarkets are friendly and are mutts.

Comment

Working...
                      X