• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switch to increased day rate within PS IR35 or leave?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The above comments compliment my thinking - as for those questioning the 300, believe me.. for the circumstances and role over a 2 year period that's an absolutely fine rate!

Without any retrospective nonsense it would be worth continuing... however, the game has been messed up for all with this new policy... I think the rounded up expense enriched 2 year period should be sufficient.

Comment

Depends if you are desperate for work
      If you aren't - AVOID and show HMRC middle finger as most contractors do.

Comment

Desperate, nope - have requested that if a renewal could be clearly out of IR35 then it's on, otherwise, it's over.

Thanks for amplifying my thoughts everyone.

Comment

What's this 2 year thing? You expect the gig to roll on for that long? That alone sounds a bit permy, also in danger of screwing your 24 month rule up and if you aren't inside to start, there will be some risk you are after that long.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I think the big question here is why you are even wasting your time working in the public sector.... If you are able to move to private on a similar rate then just jump and leave that world behind.

Comment

Originally posted by BradMcA View Post
              The above comments compliment my thinking - as for those questioning the 300, believe me.. for the circumstances and role over a 2 year period that's an absolutely fine rate!

Without any retrospective nonsense it would be worth continuing... however, the game has been messed up for all with this new policy... I think the rounded up expense enriched 2 year period should be sufficient.
              I can well believe it. They are hiring at bottom of the barrel rates and once in a while get lucky with someone who's good but has been benched a while. My bare minimum rate was £100/day more than their "absolute maximum". Then they wonder why NHS IT projects are in the state they are.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
                This will then leave you open to HMRC backtracking on existing service, so I would still be out.
                Nail on the head!

I'd leave as a matter of principle.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

All these people saying "leave" - I can emphasize with the sentiment but do you think it's reasonable to advise contractors to leave their clients without having any other role to fall back on? If all PS contractors left then how would the private sector soak them up? And that's assuming the contractors can actually get contracts in the private sector.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    All these people saying "leave" - I can emphasize with the sentiment but do you think it's reasonable to advise contractors to leave their clients without having any other role to fall back on? If all PS contractors left then how would the private sector soak them up? And that's assuming the contractors can actually get contracts in the private sector.
                    It's very easy to say "leave" from the comfort of a role elsewhere - in the same way that a lot of people suggest leaving as soon as a bank dishes out a rate cut. It relies on there being roles for people to take and people having the financial leeway to be able to risk no work for a while - dead easy to say when you're already in a role and billing, not so easy when you have bills to pay and haven't been in contract for a while. It also assumes that everyone has skills that are transferable to the private sector - tell that to the doctors, nurses, peripatetic music teachers, supply teachers, dentists, pharmacists, social workers, counsellors, therapists and so forth.

Even for those that can leave - if everyone left it might just push HMRC to level the playing field even sooner than they already plan to.
                    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by BradMcA View Post
                      as for those questioning the 300
                      Mate, you posted this in "General" rather than accounting or Public Sector IR35 or Future of Contracting. Thus the snark. Sorry, didn't notice you were a newbie.

Comment

Working...
                      X