• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switch to increased day rate within PS IR35 or leave?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to the brolly calculators i have seen , you are looking at a whopping 42% tax for a PS contract inside IR35

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
      According to the brolly calculators i have seen , you are looking at a whopping 42% tax for a PS contract inside IR35
      Well yeah, once you're past 43k pa you're on higher rate tax.

Under a fixed term contract, you'd get 65% of 100k:

Income Tax (PAYE) £29,200 29%
      National Insurance (N.I) £5,333 5%
      Total taxes £34,533 35%
      NET INCOME £65,466 65%

Under an umbrella (CU in this case), you'd get 58% of your gross:

Employment Taxes £11,418 11%
      Employee's NI £5,275 5%
      Employee Tax £23,789 24%
      Total All Tax £40,482 40%
      CU Margin £1,302 1%
      Total Net Income £58,220 58%

I've no idea how prevalent FTCs could become in the Public Sector but they could become an alternative and allow PSBs to recruit via FTC or outside IR35 on a case by case basis. I feel sorry for them because they've been swamped by a monster that they've never had to care about before.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

If they're only umbrella for a couple of months though...? Might still be able to remain a regular rate tax payer.

Anyhow if it's a non-starter no problem. Unless they'll pay even more...
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Well yeah, once you're past 43k pa you're on higher rate tax.

how does this work for a 6 months contract. Do you get taxed on basic rate only ? what if there is another 6 months extension then do they deduct higher taxes for next 6 months ?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
            how does this work for a 6 months contract. Do you get taxed on basic rate only ? what if there is another 6 months extension then do they deduct higher taxes for next 6 months ?
            It's like the good old days of permiedom where, if you're benched for the next six months, you'll get a tax rebate at some point...
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              It's like the good old days of permiedom where, if you're benched for the next six months, you'll get a tax rebate at some point...
              There may be tax rebate but i don't think they will pay back both NIs

Comment

Working...
              X