• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switch to increased day rate within PS IR35 or leave?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your day rate was £300, working in the public sector happily satisfied your Ir35 status is outside, contracted for two years up until 31/march this year with all invoices and payments made before 6/April.

But the client you do project work for would pay £400 a day to keep you for 2+ more months... Almost certainly putting you within IR35 due to their lack of understanding of the issues would you renew or leave?
    Last edited by BradMcA; 2 March 2017, 06:46. Reason: Autocorrect with Gboard is a pain

For two months! Leave!
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      For two months! Leave!
      FWIW I am charging £500/d upwards in private sector.

Wouldn't do PS for less than £750/d.
      Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 2 March 2017, 07:54.
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

If you are inside you need at least 35% +expenses, I think mine worked out at nearly 50%. This will then leave you open to HMRC backtracking on existing service, so I would still be out.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
          For two months! Leave!
          +1 the risk is that HMRC look at your new inside IR35 contract and decide that

1) Clearly the previous contracts were inside IR35 (however the contractor ignored facts and decided it was outside)
          1b) let's issue a bill on the basis that all contracts with that client / agency were inside IR35 and see what happens.

And that is why we (and virtually everyone else)who has read and understood the law) recommends leaving asap and ensuring all invoices are paid by the end of this tax year (5/4/17)..

2 months max additional money isn't worth a 2 year tax bill...

Things I will add as its not clear from your post:-

We suspect any retrospective bill would be based on the historic payments through your current agency - new agency = new contract = probably safety.
          If you have been working there for nearly 2 years you cannot claim expenses once you know that contract will go over 24 months.
          Last edited by eek; 2 March 2017, 07:55.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            +1 the risk is that HMRC look at your new inside IR35 contract and decide that

1) Clearly the previous contracts were inside IR35 (however the contractor ignored facts and decided it was outside)
            1b) let's issue a bill on the basis that all contracts with that client / agency were inside IR35 and see what happens.

And that is why we (and virtually everyone else)who has read and understood the law) recommends leaving asap and ensuring all invoices are paid by the end of this tax year (5/4/17)..

2 months max additional money isn't worth a 2 year tax bill...

Things I will add as its not clear from your post:-

We suspect any retrospective bill would be based on the historic payments through your current agency - new agency = new contract = probably safety.
            If you have been working there for nearly 2 years you cannot claim expenses once you know that contract will go over 24 months.
            Spot on. In OPs case if he/she is considering staying I would definitely be considering QDOS TLC35.

Whether then having to pay £300+ for 5/6 years afterwards would be worht it (Although its a good thing anyway).

OP - Referral code available - 15% off!
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Get another job on top of your day job. Two sources of income.

Goodness, what happened to when contractors were real contractors?
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Get another job on top of your day job. Two sources of income.

Goodness, what happened to when contractors were real contractors?
                Was it when they stopped having jobs?

Comment

Originally posted by BradMcA View Post
                  If your day rate was £300, working in the public sector
                  Have you considered alternative and less painful and prolonged forms of suicide? Just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by BradMcA View Post
                    If your day rate was £300, working in the public sector happily satisfied your Ir35 status is outside, contracted for two years up until 31/march this year with all invoices and payments made before 6/April.

But the client you do project work for would pay £400 a day to keep you for 2+ more months... Almost certainly putting you within IR35 due to their lack of understanding of the issues would you renew or leave?
                    Leave. Increase isn't enough and the contract length isn't enough. Just not worth the hassle / risk.
                    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Working...
                    X