• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

6 months contract/save £, 6 months holidays/travelling, repeat - do you do it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
    It's hard to manage - leave it too long and agents will worry what's "wrong" with you because you haven't found work for a while. They struggle to understand that you can pick and choose when you work.

If I was you, I would make sure I never had to face a cold winter ever again. Contract Sep - Mar in Australia, then contract Apr - Aug in the UK. Repeat as necessary.
    My CV timeline looks pretty solid so far. 5 years at previous job in Australia. Finished late April 2016. Travelled for 2 months then looked for work in UK. Started first UK job late July 2016 (it was a contract role but as a regular employee [not contractor] and didn't end that well. Resume says AU Job till May 2016, UK Job from July 2016 so looks like I really only took 1 month to pack up my life, move overseas and start a new job.

Had 6 weeks off in between first UK job and current contract, not by choice - early Dec to late Jan so resume says till Dec 2016 then from January 2017. Again, looks like a had a short break over Xmas in between roles which is fairly normal.

As much as I would like to chase the sun endlessly the logistics of it are mind-boggling!

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    IMO the OP is just looking for a quick money injection to fund his lifestyle. Contracting isn't going to be a good option. He might get lucky occasionally bit on the whole the two models dont support each other.
    How so? I've moved to the UK for a limited time on a (somewhat) limited visa. I'm here for a good time not a long time and like every Australian who moves to the UK, want to travel. I've got a great career to go back to in Australia so Im not looking to grow my career here other than gain experience at some places I never could in Australia, which is exactly what I'm already doing. I don't want a permanent role to work hard and progress over years here because I know I wont be here forever.

Yes the ideal timeframes probably wont work out but otherwise isn't contracting pretty ideal for my situation?

Comment

Originally posted by smit0847 View Post
      Yes the ideal timeframes probably wont work out but otherwise isn't contracting pretty ideal for my situation?
      Maybe and maybe not.

Met permies who have spent every other weekend in another European country.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

How so? I've moved to the UK for a limited time on a (somewhat) limited visa. I'm here for a good time not a long time and like every Australian who moves to the UK, want to travel. I've got a great career to go back to in Australia so Im not looking to grow my career here other than gain experience at some places I never could in Australia, which is exactly what I'm already doing. I don't want a permanent role to work hard and progress over years here because I know I wont be here forever.

Clients want experienced professionals to deliver to their needs. They get a sniff this is what you are doing they will just move on to the next guy. The market is pretty flat for the experienced guys as well at the moment. You might look good now but further down the line as the gaps start appearing its going to get much harder.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you are happy to make the travelling visits shorter there are ways to make it look better on your CV. For dates for roles use month and year and take a contract that ends at the start of the month, giving you the rest of the month 'free' travel time, travel for the next month and come back to the UK at the start of the next month. Your CV will only look like you've been away for just over a month, will only come out if doing an in depth reference check, by which time you've got the gig anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by doconline View Post
            If you are happy to make the travelling visits shorter there are ways to make it look better on your CV. For dates for roles use month and year and take a contract that ends at the start of the month, giving you the rest of the month 'free' travel time, travel for the next month and come back to the UK at the start of the next month. Your CV will only look like you've been away for just over a month, will only come out if doing an in depth reference check, by which time you've got the gig anyway.
            If they do an in depth reference check you aren't lying. I don't have room to put day month and year on my CV.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If you have the money and don't have commitments (they will come along in due course!) then go ahead and do it. Before you know it there will be a mortgage, kids, childcare etc to pay for so see the world while you can before it is no longer an option until you're retired. As long as you don't go away too long (2-3 months was always fine for me) and are good at what you do / have a solid network you can pick up work when you need it.

Comment

Ignore the time of year, it's warm and cheap somewhere in the world, travel costs become less significant on longer breaks.

Comment

Moved over here with a dual citizen (AU/UK). Could potentially get married if desperate to stay. Cannot see myself here (very) long-term regardless of what happens though. Lifestyle in Australia is pretty sweet (only moved because I was bored).
                  No one else seems to have asked, but does your other half have the desire and flexibility to do the same? Since she's important enough to you to be considered marriage material, this would seem to be a large part of the equation.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Clients want experienced professionals to deliver to their needs. They get a sniff this is what you are doing they will just move on to the next guy. The market is pretty flat for the experienced guys as well at the moment. You might look good now but further down the line as the gaps start appearing its going to get much harder.
                    I don't think so. I did the same when I was younger and covered some of the gaps. It had no impact whatsoever. Clients want experienced contractors and if you're good in interview, covering your CV will get you past the agent, your style will get you in the door.

I say fill yeh boots until some broad gets her nails into you, then you're fecked like the rest of us. (Except the gay ones, you know who you are)
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      I don't think so. I did the same when I was younger and covered some of the gaps. It had no impact whatsoever. Clients want experienced contractors and if you're good in interview, covering your CV will get you past the agent, your style will get you in the door.

I say fill yeh boots until some broad gets her nails into you, then you're fecked like the rest of us. (Except the gay ones, you know who you are)
                      Correct, my CV has around 3 years worth of gaps due to travelling, hopefully there will be more of the same before I'm done.

As far as advice for covering gaps "inventively" on your CV I will keep those secrets to myself
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X