• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

6 months contract/save £, 6 months holidays/travelling, repeat - do you do it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I say fill yeh boots until some broad gets her nails into you, then you're fecked like the rest of us. (Except the gay ones, you know who you are)
    That would be me ; )

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
      No one else seems to have asked, but does your other half have the desire and flexibility to do the same? Since she's important enough to you to be considered marriage material, this would seem to be a large part of the equation.
      They are even more keen to travel than I am. They work a minimum wage job that they hate and would much rather be travelling.

Comment

it's good in theory but think of the logistics...are you renting or owning? long term travel is dead rent money, owning might be easier as at least paying off a mortgage, if you move out of flat for travel then need to put things into storage then manage mail etc. I take the hit on rent when long term travelling but its far from ideal.

Also you need to think about mail that needs completing for a limited company, for instance, after years of business banking without nothing suddenly yesterday my business bank just sent a 10 page document to complete, sign and return in self address envelope, don't know how I would manage that if I was travelling for 6 months, i'd recommend to change your Ltd company address to be your accountant / virtual mail box so there are no ties to your place.
        Last edited by fonejacker; 3 March 2017, 11:04.

Comment

Originally posted by fonejacker View Post
          it's good in theory but think of the logistics...are you renting or owning? long term travel is dead rent money, owning might be easier as at least paying off a mortgage, if you move out of flat for travel then need to put things into storage then manage mail etc. I take the hit on rent when long term travelling but its far from ideal.

Also you need to think about mail that needs completing for a limited company, for instance, after years of business banking without nothing suddenly yesterday my business bank just sent a 10 page document to complete, sign and return in self address envelope, don't know how I would manage that if I was travelling for 6 months, i'd recommend to change your Ltd company address to be your accountant / virtual mail box so there are no ties to your place.
          I bought my first house with a mate and we had lodgers, so had the best of both worlds. Later I swapped that owning my own house but renting to students but with a locked door for my stuff. Worked well.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            I bought my first house with a mate and we had lodgers, so had the best of both worlds. Later I swapped that owning my own house but renting to students but with a locked door for my stuff. Worked well.

Guess that also stopped them from the disturbing sight of your naked sleep walking whilst constantly snacking.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by fonejacker View Post

Renting. Agree rent money is dead money while travelling. May sub-let, may charge friends visiting London to stay during summer while we are away.

Wouldn't ever be away for a full 6 months - always need a bit of a reset while travelling to do things like sort out mail, get things fixed, medical appointments, properly wash/mend clothes etc. Would probably do a month away at a time, come back for a few days, repeat.

Comment

I don't do it - I wish I could

Comment

Working...
                X