• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switching mobile phone contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    The latter will motivate them too because you'll get far more for a phone selling it unlocked than you would if it was still tied to a carrier. It also means that you can go SIM only with whoever you want.
    A PUC only unlocks a locked SIM card after too many unsuccessful PIN attempts. It does not enable you to use a SIM from a different vendor if the phone is locked to one vendor.

Obtaining a PUC from your vendor will not motivate them to offer you a better contract.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
      A PUC only unlocks a locked SIM card after too many unsuccessful PIN attempts. It does not enable you to use a SIM from a different vendor if the phone is locked to one vendor.

Obtaining a PUC from your vendor will not motivate them to offer you a better contract.
      Ah, fair enough, I thought they were talking about the unlock code, not the unblocking code.

Yeah, I agree, unlocking the SIM is irrelevant.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

It is PAC, and OpCo customer retention is more or less as followers:

Cost of new customer acquisition is calculated as 4x the cost of retaining a customer.

Your 12 month spend is averaged out and between 30 & 70 % discount is applied for retention. Not only your current spend is factored in but your customer profile (telcos know a hell of a lot about you) indicators that show future upsell and cross sell opportunities, as well as calling patterns (family, business cross sell potential) and payment history are factored in.

Timely payment and lots of roaming (particularly outside eu) and international calls, you will be getting closer to the 70%.

Phone on finance still (aka contract)? We have got you by the balls.

As well as asking for a PAC code have clear details of the competitors tariff you want to migrate to as the CSR will have all live and past competitors tariffs on screen. Get your bluff called? Hang up and call again.

Negotiating on a port to 3 is the hardest as 3's churn is horrific and there is a 30% chance you will be back once their customer service has worn you down.

Comment

So, I called Vodafone to request the PAC, and was surprised when the call was answered by a Geordie lass, as opposed to the unhelpful Bobs I normally speak to. She asked why I was leaving, and I explained my experiences of 2 years ago. She offered a better deal, and I eventually agreed, given that the cool-off period was 30 days and she promised to confirm everything by text, which she did straight away.

So I've got a new phone, unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, 3G of data for £16.80 per month, which I think is ok. Saves the hassle of switching, and it's cheaper than the deal I was going for.

Comment

Good news. People should be calling customer retention everytime their contract expires to get better deals. Just carrying on is lining yourself up to be ripped off. I've yet to to get to the end of a deal and the rentention team can't get me better than the shop.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Good news. People should be calling customer retention everytime their contract expires to get better deals. Just carrying on is lining yourself up to be ripped off. I've yet to to get to the end of a deal and the rentention team can't get me better than the shop.
              Unless your old deal is better than any new deals, in which case you have no leverage with the retention team.

I'm on a grandfathered Three "The One" plan - unlimited everything (well 5k min is close enough) including 4G tethering for £18/month and it's a rolling 30 day "contract". There isn't anything close to that on the market these days.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                Unless your old deal is better than any new deals, in which case you have no leverage with the retention team.

I'm on a grandfathered Three "The One" plan - unlimited everything (well 5k min is close enough) including 4G tethering for £18/month and it's a rolling 30 day "contract". There isn't anything close to that on the market these days.
                Yeah that's true. The kids have unlimited calls and data plans from Three from a couple of years ago that the new ones can't come near as well. The retention teams admitted they'll not get anywhere near that again so keep it.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X