• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you hadn't of worked in IT what would you have wanted to do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Nah he would be one of the thick builders
    BYOB....

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
      What, like me? with my degree, 2 professional accreditations & several industry certs*

*BSc, MRICS, MCIOB, FAAW, FW, PTS (AC DCCR), MBIFM, CSCS (Gold), ASA(50m)
      FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Nah he would be one of the thick builders you would randomly have to talk to.
        Pretty much. I'd be standing on the scaffolding whistling at you too.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

When I was younger I had a choice of becoming a famous rock star or going into IT. I much prefer sitting at a desk in front of a monitor all day.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

I think I'm too lazy for real work. I'd need a job where you can do sod all for 90% of the time, then bang out the required work in a panic for 10% of the time. IT is perfect for this.

I did consider becoming an architect at one stage. But I was too lazy and thick for the required study.

Now I'm getting on a bit, I'm thinking what to do next now that IT seems to be leaving me behind. There's a bloke near me who's a charcoal burner. I expect it pays feck all, but he gets to spend all day in the woods with his dog and few humans for company. He seems like a pretty healthy and happy man. I could cope with this sort of life.

Comment

I always wanted to be a mechanic, and work on old cars, dad got me into that when I were a lad.

Anyway the good news is, it won't be long and I'll be fulfilling that dream.

Part of the realization will be acquiring a LR (can't decide whether to get a Series III SWB or a 300tdi 90) and an early XJS.

I need to build another garage first.

Milan.

Comment

A Chef, I like cooking. But probably won't happen now, too fat and lazy to stand upright for more than 1-2h

Comment

When I finished my GCSE's I still didn't have a clue what I wanted to do, luckily they had this computer program (text based) where it asks you about 50 or 100 questions then displays a list of careers that could be suitable. Top of the list was "Civil Engineer" - Nice one I though, so did A Levels in Maths, Physics, and Computer Science as a backup. Fast forward 20 years and I'm in IT.

Would I change anything? Probably not. Ideal career now would be, home-based day trader that dabbles in <insert names of plans B, C, ..., n>.
                  Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
                  "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

A writer.
                    You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                      What, like me? with my degree, 2 professional accreditations & several industry certs*

*BSc, MRICS, MCIOB, FAAW, FW, PTS (AC DCCR), MBIFM, CSCS (Gold)
                      I was meant to be a PM in construction - well as least that's where the first degree was meant to take me - but concluded giving instructions to builders wouldn't have worked. Did first year of architecture too. That's what I really should have done as heart lies with building conservation. Also spent six months getting a job in the City and quit after a week. Talk about follies of youth. Oh, and did a small stints with a classic car auction house, insurance firm and IT networking. Only the first was of any interest.
                      Last edited by The_Equalizer; 3 March 2017, 11:42.

Comment

Working...
                      X