• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tools to make Windows 10 a proper OS again?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    It's called Google.

Other than that for normal everyday use it is the like older versions of Windows and similar to Mac but without that stupid command key.

Oh and I use Ubuntu. I have used other flavours but this is the easiest to use as the LTS updates don't break everything.
    Ssshh! Don't tell people that the only thing most sysadmins do is look up stuff in Google. My cover will be blown And yes, Ubuntu is great.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
      Ssshh! Don't tell people that the only thing most sysadmins do is look up stuff in Google. My cover will be blown And yes, Ubuntu is great.
      There is me thinking it is standard practice to look things up in Google as most linux folks will happily tell someone how they did stuff because they know they will forget themselves so need to Google it.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        There is me thinking it is standard practice to look things up in Google as most linux folks will happily tell someone how they did stuff because they know they will forget themselves so need to Google it.
        You know that and I know that but "normal" people think we are amazing due to the fact that we can fix computery things

Comment

We're amazing because we know how to use google. Many people don't.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
            I'm persevering with Windows 10 as my main home VM (I use the Long Term Servicing Branch to avoid all the guff) but it just doesn't feel like an OS, it feels like a launcher on a tablet (yes it's not in tablet mode). So any info on stuff I could do with to make it feel like an OS again?

- Everything is so 'big' - I'm running Full HD but it feels like 800x600; fonts are 100% but there's so much wasted real estate everywhere.
            - Start Scree;, I hate it, finding application is a chore and even creating shortcuts. I've got Classic Shell ready in the toolkit.
            - Got the Sysinternals suite
            - Need a decent File Manager (Multi-Commander? XYPlorer?)
            - Any "One stop shop" to access most settings, like Control Panel used to be but now it's horribly split between this and the awful "Settings" app.
            - ??

Any pointers appreciated, Note this is all hosted on a Windows 2012 R2 Server but I'm keeping that as vanilla as I can so only the VMs get cluttered.
            Do you have a screen shot, I installed the long term serv branch in a vm and was ok. I tend to use search to find apps, so win and s works for me, though I pin apps to task bar.

Comment

Let's Make Windows Great Again. #MWGA

(I was going to call it "Let's Give... Windows A New Kernel, but I couldn't come up with a hashtag for it.)
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Start10 gives you a normal Win 7 type start menu, though had to fiddle around a bit to get working how I wanted.

Basically anything you want to run on start up should be in local user folder:

C:\Users\<whatever>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Wind ows\Start Menu\Startup

Other stuff you want to appear in start menu as normal should be in all users:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
                Last edited by xoggoth; 4 March 2017, 10:49.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  Let's Make Windows Great Again. #MWGA

(I was going to call it "Let's Give... Windows A New Kernel, but I couldn't come up with a hashtag for it.)
                  took me a little while to get to the hashtag!
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                  X