• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stocks and shares ISA Platform recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stocks and shares ISA Platform recommendations

Hi, as it's coming up to the end of the tax year and I haven't opened an ISA yet I wondered if anyone could recommend a stocks and shares ISA platform? I've had a quick look at HL & III, didn't know if anyone could recommend any others over these? I am looking at putting about £5000 into one, as this is just sat in my current account. I will probably make monthly deposits going forward of £250 and then lump sums when I take dividends out. I won't really be looking to trade too many shares, but will probably just put my money into a Vanguard 80/20 fund or similar.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by doconline; 3 March 2017, 12:27.

I didn't know what an ISA was, but I just looked it up, so basically it's a government scheme to prop us the stock market by offering the carrot of tax free returns

hmm

Milan

Comment

Go with hl.

Good info and relatively low fees. I'm sure if you dig deep enough you'll find better provider to suit your specific needs but hl is no brainer

Comment

I was all set to use HL for my children's Junior ISAs however everything I've read suggests the best option in terms of fees is CSD.

https://www.charles-stanley-direct.co.uk/

Comment

Have you checked out nutmeg.com ?

They do a risk analysis when you open an account (and yearly) and select a profile for you to invest in. Basically a risk point between 1 to 10, 10 being the highest risk. I've invested almost a year ago and the portfolio they have assigned to me is running with %4.5 yield at the moment which is not bad as I had choosen 3 for the first 9 months and recently changed it to 5.

With 3, I had a mix of everything bonds and FTSE 100 companies being the major part of the portfolio
          With 5, I had less bonds and more equities. Also FTSE 250 and SP100 in the mix.

They do a revison of these profiles at least once a week as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Sagara View Post
            Have you checked out nutmeg.com ?

They do a risk analysis when you open an account (and yearly) and select a profile for you to invest in. Basically a risk point between 1 to 10, 10 being the highest risk. I've invested almost a year ago and the portfolio they have assigned to me is running with %4.5 yield at the moment which is not bad as I had choosen 3 for the first 9 months and recently changed it to 5.

With 3, I had a mix of everything bonds and FTSE 100 companies being the major part of the portfolio
            With 5, I had less bonds and more equities. Also FTSE 250 and SP100 in the mix.

They do a revison of these profiles at least once a week as far as I know.
            So does pretty much any fund. Hefty fees involved

Comment

Compare the UK’s cheapest online brokers

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out CSD, butthink HL will be the way forward. I had a quick look at nutmeg. Their performance doesn't look that good compared to other funds to be honest. Even their Portfolio 10 is out performed by the Vanguard 80/20, and beaten by an extra 30% by the Vanguard 100 over 5 years. Not sure of those returns for nutmeg are net of fees or not though.

Comment

Originally posted by doconline View Post
                  Thanks for the replies. I'll check out CSD, butthink HL will be the way forward. I had a quick look at nutmeg. Their performance doesn't look that good compared to other funds to be honest. Even their Portfolio 10 is out performed by the Vanguard 80/20, and beaten by an extra 30% by the Vanguard 100 over 5 years. Not sure of those returns for nutmeg are net of fees or not though.
                  Past performance is not indication on future growth ?

Comment

III stocks and shaes Isa is good

I use III stocks and shares ISA. SImple and easy to use.

Comment

Working...
                    X