• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK 'not legally obliged' to pay Brexit exit bill, say peers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK 'not legally obliged' to pay Brexit exit bill, say peers

So begins the start of a beautiful trading relationship. It'll be a great relationship. The best relationship.

The Brits will fund the bill through taxes. We'll make them pay.

The UK could legally walk away from the European Union without paying anything if there is no post-Brexit deal, a House of Lords inquiry has concluded.

The Lords EU Financial Affairs Sub Committee said Britain would be in a "strong" legal position if the two-year Article 50 withdrawal negotiations ended without an agreement.

But it warned failure to reach an agreement on financial terms would undermine the Government's aim of securing continued favourable to access to EU markets.

We conclude that if agreement is not reached, all EU law - including provisions concerning ongoing financial contributions and machinery for adjudication - will cease to apply, and the UK would be subject to no enforceable obligation to make any financial contribution at all."

However it cautioned that this "would also damage the prospects of reaching friendly agreement on other issues"

"Nonetheless, the ultimate possibility of the UK walking away from negotiations without incurring financial commitments provides an important context," the report added.
    source: UK 'not legally obliged' to pay Brexit exit bill, say peers - ITV News
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

From Der Spiegel ....

EU Defence policy

Cracks beginning to appear

That could also include making some trade-policy concessions during the Brexit negotiations in exchange for British participation in a joint European defense partnership.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

The EU will try to make sure the UK gets a worse deal than now. The UK will not accept it. Its going to be a hard exit.

Comment

so lets get this straight.

The HOL imposes restrictions on Brexit that aren't legally required and would be subject to negotiation.

The HOL asserts that we don't need to pay our dues as we leave which are required its just the size of the settlement we need to negotiate.

Both weakens our negotiation position.

Do they think their incompetent interference will derail Brexit. I Declare them Idiots of the people.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          so lets get this straight.

The HOL imposes restrictions on Brexit that aren't legally required and would be subject to negotiation.

The HOL asserts that we don't need to pay our dues as we leave which are required its just the size of the settlement we need to negotiate.

Both weakens our negotiation position.

Do they think their incompetent interference will derail Brexit. I Declare them Idiots of the people.
          The HoL like the HoC can say whatever they like. It's up to the government to negotiate us a trade deal.

Oh and the government often misses things in legislation some of which are obvious, so it is likely they would miss these things when negotiating a trade deal.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            The EU will try to make sure the UK gets a worse deal than now. The UK will not accept it. Its going to be a hard exit.
            Then the EU will be right, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              The HoL like the HoC can say whatever they like. It's up to the government to negotiate us a trade deal.

Oh and the government often misses things in legislation some of which are obvious, so it is likely they would miss these things when negotiating a trade deal.
              They can say whatever I like however if I blurted out in a customer negotiation hey guess what we think we should give you a major concession for free and we will pay you to return the favour I would expect my P45.

Its not been missed, Mrs May tried to get it sorted before we triggered A50 as it should of been a slam dunk and it was only fair - we give your citizens resident in country ILR and you do the same for ours. The EU told her to get stuffed we aren't talking until you trigger article 50.

The Lords think unilateral disarmament is a good idea.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The UK parliament could in any case pass a law stating that no funds are owed or to be paid to the EU. I wonder if the credit rating agencies would take a negative view.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  The UK parliament could in any case pass a law stating that no funds are owed or to be paid to the EU. I wonder if the credit rating agencies would take a negative view.
                  A default on our debts? Junk status here we come..
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    A default on our debts? Junk status here we come..
                    If we're not legally obliged to pay them then they aren't debts.

Personally I would pay what we are committed to until we leave in exchange for a free trade agreement that benefits both sides. That's pretty much what we'll end up with.

Comment

Working...
                    X