• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Babies on Planes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe if the Airlines obeyed the rules this wouldn't be a problem.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Blog-Posts/Are...-comfortably-/

Some people assume they have to pay for reserved seating when they book a flight to ensure family groups sit together, but is this actually necessary? In a word, no! CAA guidance is quite clear
    Airlines are expected to sit family groups together when they check-in for their flight, either at the desk in the terminal or in advance at home online. This is particularly the case if the group contains a child under 12, who should be seated in the same seat row segment as an accompanying adult. If this is not possible for any reason then the child has to be seated no more than one seat row away. This can happen if a single adult is travelling with three or more children, for example. On larger, twin aisle, aeroplanes children should not be seated more than one seat row or aisle away from an accompanying adult.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I was initially going to crucify you for complaining about babies on planes
      We can't moan about ghastly babies on planes??? Why do us full fare payers have to put up with their noise? They could put them in the cargo hold.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Let me ease your pain with a CUK voucher

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          We can't moan about ghastly babies on planes??? Why do us full fare payers have to put up with their noise? They could put them in the cargo hold.
          Why do we have to put up with your snoring and you randomly shouting 'wooly mammoth' a lot?
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

4 crying babies brought a free flight for JetBlue passengers - May. 3, 2016

The airline offered the "FlyBabies" promotion on April 15 on a flight from New York City's JFK airport to Long Beach, California, that awarded a 25% discount on future airfare every time a baby onboard cried.

There were a total of five babies on the flight.

All it took were four cries (fussing and whining didn't count) for the 140 passengers to be rewarded with a free roundtrip ticket on JetBlue.

Comment

Why do we have to put up with your snoring and you randomly shouting 'mammoth bottoms' a lot?
              FTFY
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Some of the facts if the story smell like BS. EasyJet prohibits infants on emergency exit rows - like the first row and the 2 extra leg room rows over the wings, so i find it hard to believe someone had to give up extra legroom seat for the infant+parent.

The fact that you don't have kids, explains your dismay at the wish of the 2 parents to seat next to each other. It really depends of the infant (infant is classed as up to 2 years), for example at that age my son was 15+ kg of hyperactivity and believe me you don't want to sit next to that, and might end up begging the cabin crew for a swap instead of the parents doing it in advance.

I'm not defending the parents and personally always book specific seats even with low cost companies that charge extra for the "privilege", but some times (with late bookings for example, like in this case) this is not possible.

Lately i'm finding a different problem booking seats with low cost flights - my son is 3 and needs his own ticket+seat so we are looking for 3 seats in a row - even on early bookings, months in advance often the cheapest seats (middle or aisle) are already booked on all rows and despite the plane being less than 50% booked there are no 3 adjacent seats to book. In that case we usually book 2 adjacent where we want to sit and the 3rd one in the expensive areas, so people are motivated to trade seats (if getting trampled all the time by my son is insufficient motivation to move).

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
                  But why? I appreciate there are different scenarios but in the one I described, it was a baby. The baby will sit on one parent's lap with one of those harnesses. What difference does it make where the other parent sits? Other than that it's just nicer to sit together but that goes for anyone regardless of whether or not they have kids.

Anyhow, in this case it was just the sense of entitlement that this couple had that stuck in the craw.
                  The baby will sit and get bored, quickly (if around 9months+) - they may get too hot and/or their ears may start hurting - parent #1 will take the role of the babies seat/restraint, parent #2 will be the entertainer, the getter-of-the-changing-bag, milk preparer etc. If you stop parent #2 from being able to sit there - you will automatically become parent #2 for the duration of the flight

I have been parent #2 on four flights (2 holidays) so far - it's not a job I would wish on any one, if I were you I'd see the opportunity of a switch a good thing if the alternative is having to sit next to a baby that isn't yours. In fact I'd probably be happy to pay you to sit there instead of me if it meant I could sit and do nothing between two adults

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                    The baby will sit and get bored, quickly (if around 9months+) - they may get too hot and/or their ears may start hurting - parent #1 will take the role of the babies seat/restraint, parent #2 will be the entertainer, the getter-of-the-changing-bag, milk preparer etc. If you stop parent #2 from being able to sit there - you will automatically become parent #2 for the duration of the flight

I have been parent #2 on four flights (2 holidays) so far - it's not a job I would wish on any one, if I were you I'd see the opportunity of a switch a good thing if the alternative is having to sit next to a baby that isn't yours. In fact I'd probably be happy to pay you to sit there instead of me if it meant I could sit and do nothing between two adults
                    Passing the baby back and forth across the 'I'm within my rights to stay in my seat' hold-out soon wears them down.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                      Passing the baby back and forth across the 'I'm within my rights to stay in my seat' hold-out soon wears them down.
                      A little bit of Valium and a shot of whisky in the beaker always worked for me when I was a toddler
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X