• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The official Budget 2017 DOOM thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    And watch UK PLC grind to a halt...

It's coming but I don't think it will be here in April...
    Contracting in Ireland basically works as if 'Inside IR35', in that there is no advantage to CT + divis vs payroll. Works OK, once you accept eye-watering marginal tax rates above €34k.

What would happen in the UK, is that a lot of contractors who had previously been enjoying low taxes on high incomes would have to suck up high taxes, and many would move to brollies. Joe Public would be pleased enough, so I think it is inevitable once HMRC has if figured out.

A few more enterprising UK contractors will find different models of working - fixed prices etc.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      Contracting in Ireland basically works as if 'Inside IR35', in that there is no advantage to CT + divis vs payroll. Works OK, once you accept eye-watering marginal tax rates above €34k.

What would happen in the UK, is that a lot of contractors who had previously been enjoying low taxes on high incomes would have to suck up high taxes, and many would move to brollies. Joe Public would be pleased enough, so I think it is inevitable once HMRC has if figured out.

A few more enterprising UK contractors will find different models of working - fixed prices etc.
      I already do, all my private stuff is fixed price, but best of luck selling that idea to the agencies.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        If they can find a way of actually forcing companies to do it, it's a game-changer.
        Easy - just like with PS make companies responsible for any tax due in case contract was "in", everybody would prefer to use risk averse approach, system wide change, so all in the same boat.

This pro-business Conservative Government will certainly kill contracting for good.

Comment

I already do, all my private stuff is fixed price, but best of luck selling that idea to the agencies.
          Hence the words:

A few more enterprising UK contractors
          Agencies won't be in the mix for that work.

Comment

Resistance is futile...

http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              Hence the words:

Agencies won't be in the mix for that work.
              Then it's bye-bye time for a few agencies, is it not?
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Then it's bye-bye time for a few agencies, is it not?
                I think it's a very small section of current contract work.

Comment

They will go for easy targets.

Self employed NI up 3%
                  IR35 rules extended to private sector
                  Fiscal drag on tax brackets
                  Fuel duty up on diesel and increased road tax for diesels
                  Wine duty up

It will be a very long list of tax rises I'm sure...factor in Article 50 I see parity with the USD by the end of next month.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Kebabs going to a tenner due to "business rates" increases

Looks like on Wed we will onky get tax increases with Brexit being used as excuse
                    No, as a reason.

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    The only thing better than a tax increase is one that targets contractors*. It's the new political consensus, completely invariant to political party or state of the economy. HTH.

*Tax dodging scumbags
                    Sorry babe but you're really not as important as you like to think Contractors are not a huge point for the government otherwise we'd see more rules specifically targeting us rather than rules that catch us in the crossfire.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      They will go for easy targets.

Self employed NI up 3%
                      IR35 rules extended to private sector
                      Fiscal drag on tax brackets
                      Fuel duty up on diesel and increased road tax for diesels
                      Wine duty up

It will be a very long list of tax rises I'm sure...factor in Article 50 I see parity with the USD by the end of next month.
                      Tax dividends the same as earned income.

Comment

Working...
                      X