• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Turning up to an Interview on a Motorcycle

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Still one of the funniest scenes of the whole series - it's just such a wonderfully pathetic crash. And a good demonstration of why I don't let anyone who doesn't already ride near my bike!
    It's the way his head hits the door! Like a slo-mo head-but.....

Comment

https://youtu.be/Q9zNUPDmnz4

Costing on new tires is always a blast.

Comment

Depending upon the contract I used to turn up on one of the following:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I've recently bought my first bike and so had thought about whether I would maybe one day use it for commuting to a client, I'm not sure I personally would turn up to an interview or first day on my bike without prior knowledge of whether there was anywhere to change etc but I guess those that only ride and don't have a car have much of a choice.

Do what you feel is right, Although remember first impressions count for a lot in interviews.

Comment

Also remember if you are a contractor it is not an interview.

It is a business meeting to determine whether your co has the necessary skills to meet the clients business need.

Then think about how you would react to say a builder turning up to give you a quote in leathers (is that better or worse than the gear they have been working in all day)?

Sadly none of this is relevant as you will be interviewed by middle management bellend who will push his pointless middle class views as to what should be worn to an interview and what should be said at an interview.

And as you will probably be cleverer than him there is no chance he will recommend you as you are a threat!

Comment

As a long haired student I applied for a Saturday job at a DIY store and turned up on my motorbike, complete with shirt and tie on under my scruffy leather jacket. Didn't get the job.

I'd say do it. It may even help set you apart from the 100 other Passat driving contractors.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                From experience, rock up on a GS with BMW gear, no problem.

Rock up on an R1 in full Dainese circuit gear, you better find a shower.

In short, if you are not logo-ed up with a flashy Arai Custom Helmet paint job, you'll be fine.
                It's interesting, I ride an R1 (the iconic 1999 one obviously) with 'flashy' Arai helmet (not custom so must get a grip) and full leathers (when the weather is nice, otherwise all season clothing) and when I pitch up on it on a work day, no one bats an eye lid, quite the opposite there is a fair bit of interest, so I don't see why it should be different for an interview.

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
                  so I don't see why it should be different for an interview.
                  Because an interview is different.

It shouldn't really make a difference if the interviewer is any good but if there is just that outside chance it's going to differentiate you negatively from the competition why do it?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Because an interview is different.

It shouldn't really make a difference if the interviewer is any good but if there is just that outside chance it's going to differentiate you negatively from the competition why do it?
                    Interesting point.

Does your co have a stance on it?

Is it better to have your co saying - I am not going to discriminate against people who ride a motorbike (or have tattoos or piercing or a different sexual preference from mine) and therefore I will not deal with other companies who do not share my moral and ethical values.

Or does it depend on how skint you are?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                      Interesting point.

Does your co have a stance on it?

Is it better to have your co saying - I am not going to discriminate against people who ride a motorbike (or have tattoos or piercing or a different sexual preference from mine) and therefore I will not deal with other companies who do not share my moral and ethical values.

Or does it depend on how skint you are?
                      Do you want to try that again when you are sober?
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X