• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Turning up for interview in an SRN-4

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning up for interview in an SRN-4

Really chewed up the gravel on the carpark and peppered the MD's Bentley. Didn't get the gig...

Originally posted by stek View Post
    Really chewed up the gravel on the carpark and peppered the MD's Bentley. Didn't get the gig...

Cheaper than that damn bridge to Malmö though.

Comment

Follow link for Princess Anne donations page. Museum re-opens 1st April

https://www.gofundme.com/srn4hovercraft

Comment

Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
        Very fond memories of that. Used to go on that most years and drive down to Venice in my old man's Fiat 124. Yes, really. Used to take 3 days.

Frequently it would be cancelled because of rough seas and we'd have to take the rust bucket BR were running at the time, The Maid of Kent.

Fortunately I'm a good sailor.

There was another hovercraft company doing channel crossings on another route, Hoverlloyd I think. Can't remember where they went though.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoverlloyd

Therefore, Hoverlloyd and Seaspeed merged in 1981, to create Hoverspeed. The former Hoverlloyd services from Ramsgate were subsequently withdrawn after the 1982 season and the four ex-Hoverlloyd craft were thereafter based at Dover until their withdrawal from service between 1983 and 1993.

All four ex-Hoverlloyd craft were eventually broken up and none remains extant (although the two ex-Seaspeed SR.N4 craft are stored at the Hovercraft Museum). I seem to recall that they can only save one or the other (either not enough space or it's too far gone)

Last edited by anonymouse; 5 March 2017, 19:35.

Comment

I had an Airfix one!

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoverlloyd

Therefore, Hoverlloyd and Seaspeed merged in 1981, to create Hoverspeed. The former Hoverlloyd services from Ramsgate were subsequently withdrawn after the 1982 season and the four ex-Hoverlloyd craft were thereafter based at Dover until their withdrawal from service between 1983 and 1993.

All four ex-Hoverlloyd craft were eventually broken up and none remains extant (although the two ex-Seaspeed SR.N4 craft are stored at the Hovercraft Museum). I seem to recall that they can only save one or the other (either not enough space or it's too far gone)

Must have been Seaspeed when we went to Italy because that was 1971 the first time we did that.

Not forgetting this:

Ran between Tower Bridge and Zeebrugge for a very short time....

Comment

I had an Airfix one!
                Me too. Also remember these.

LookBack revisits Southport’s hovercraft heyday - Southport Visiter

As SueEllen said on another thread "You old gits"

Comment

Not a hovercraft but sort of....

USSR Ekranoplan ground effect plane/boat/hovercraft...

Comment

I had an Airfix one!
                    As SueEllen said on another thread "You old gits"
                    I had some Airfix ones....

Last edited by greenlake; 5 March 2017, 20:09.

Comment

Working...
                    X