• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Full remote working - Perm or contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do this. I negotiated it from the start. I had to go there for two weeks at the start to get to know them. I am in a niche area, I have a good rep in the market and a track record of delivery across many clients. I'm getting standard contract rates minus ~10%. I go to their office once a month or so (getting less frequent as time marches on) and work with them face to face - which I like because I get a few "big city" nights out while I'm there.

It's great! There are obvious downsides but if you manage them properly you can make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      Absolutely, however very satisfying logging on without pants for the very first time
      FTFY
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Absolutely, however very satisfying logging on in your wife's pants for the very first time
        Or so you told me

Comment

I do remote working every now and again, and know permies who do so.

Yes you do have to go into the office for a few days a month. The timings of whether it's weekly, biweekly or monthly depend on the client/employer.

The main annoying thing is that you are the go to person for deliveries on your road if people aren't in.

You do need to ensure that you have a fast broadband connection that is reliable. Some rural places don't have a fast broadband connection and in some suburban/urban areas it's not reliable.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            I do remote working every now and again, and know permies who do so.

Yes you do have to go into the office for a few days a month. The timings of whether it's weekly, biweekly or monthly depend on the client/employer.

The main annoying thing is that you are the go to person for deliveries on your road if people aren't in.

You do need to ensure that you have a fast broadband connection that is reliable. Some rural places don't have a fast broadband connection and in some suburban/urban areas it's not reliable.
            I'm always "just going out".........
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I'm always "just going out".........
              I think answering the door without pants has put them off for life.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                I think answering the door without pants has put them off for life.
                Correct.

You just need to make sure all the various delivery companies get a similar view:-

Either:-

Pants
                Naked
                The Mrs. pants

Never have any issues now
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Absolutely, however very satisfying logging on in your pants for the very first time
                  You mean you normally don't get dressed at all.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    I've learnt to get fully dressed.

Nothing like having a video meeting and standing up to reveal you are wearing pjs.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      Sometimes I would say, not normally

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      I've learnt to get fully dressed.

Nothing like having a video meeting and standing up to reveal you are wearing pjs.
                      Luckily we don't have video meetings.

I generally attend only useful calls and people are dissuaded from calling me on the phone when I'm at home, unless they really need to.
                      Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 6 March 2017, 09:38.
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X