• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Two versions of the news?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two versions of the news?

Browsed through the BBC text news while chomping my breakfast this morning as usual and it said many of the papers were headlining WikiLeak's exposure of hacking of our TVs etc. by the CIA and MI5. The BBC shows it as the main news on the front pages of the Metro, Times, Guardian, Sun and Mirror here:

Newspaper headlines: Smart TV 'spying' and Brexit Budget - BBC News

But if I go online, only the Times gives it the same prominence. It's lower key on the Metro and I'm still trying to find it at all on the others.

Maybe that's why old farts are more right wing, they read real paper newspapers which are much rantier than the online ones.

PS The government must be hacking my computer!
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Browsed through the BBC text news while chomping my breakfast this morning as usual and it said many of the papers were headlining WikiLeak's exposure of hacking of our TVs etc. by the CIA and MI5. The BBC shows it as the main news on the front pages of the Metro, Times, Guardian, Sun and Mirror here:

Newspaper headlines: Smart TV 'spying' and Brexit Budget - BBC News

But if I go online, only the Times gives it the same prominence. It's lower key on the Metro and I'm still trying to find it at all on the others.

Maybe that's why old farts are more right wing, they read real paper newspapers which are much rantier than the online ones.

PS The government must be hacking my computer!
    Up till press time the stories can change, (hence hold the front page) the one given to the BBC the night before is not the one that may hit the presses at midnight. So the BBC is reporting on what they have. A story is driven down by others such as Prince Harry's waxing.

https://www.thebalance.com/understan...-cycle-2295933
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

By definition the printed papers are already way out of date by the time they're printed, whereas online news is only a little out of date.

I sometimes look through one of the papers in the pub (sometimes even the nutcase ones), and it often annoys me that I can never find the same story online that I read about the evening before.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Funnily enough about 2 years ago I was helping some old lady and we were discussing webcams.

Anyway both of us had a piece of tape over them on our laptops because we had heard of the rumours.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Funnily enough about 2 years ago I was helping some old lady and we were discussing webcams.

Anyway both of us had a piece of tape over them on our laptops because we had heard of the rumours.
          Funnily enough I watched an episode of Black Mirror the other night about people being blackmailed after being recorded by their webcams, doing things you can probably guess.

It made me wonder how much I can trust that light to show me that my webcam is active.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

You were talking to yourself in the mirror again.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Perhaps we should just buy the cheapest equipment available, less likely to have a lot of sophisticated features that can be hacked. Or maybe I'll just go into the attic and dig out my old ZX81, sure that will be safe.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                You were talking to yourself in the mirror again.
                I thought I was a guy called Frank? Or am I ATW fembot?

I can't cope with the multiple personalities you are all giving me.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I thought I was a guy called Frank? Or am I ATW fembot?

I can't cope with the multiple personalities you are all giving me.
                  *Shudder*

I wouldn't wish that on sasguru
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                  X