• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Feckless self-employed to pay more tax for boomers' social care

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    If you check the demographics you'll find there will be less retired people in 50 years, that's even with the "mass migration", unless people live in even longer.

Not something you're going to read in the Daily Mail though.

Longer term, unless the Earth's human population declines significantly, I can see old timers being compelled to emigrate to settlements on Mars and the Asteroid belt etc as a condition for further medical care.

I know that must sound absurdly futuristic and implausible. But assuming off-Earth colonies do take off in the coming decades and centuries it makes much more sense to reserve Earth for young people, especially in relation to child birth and growing up in full gravity, and for older people to leave them more room and brave the extra cosmic radiation while developing and maintaining colonies.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Longer term, unless the Earth's human population declines significantly, I can see old timers being compelled to emigrate to settlements on Mars and the Asteroid belt etc as a condition for further medical care.

I know that must sound absurdly futuristic and implausible. But assuming off-Earth colonies do take off in the coming decades and centuries it makes much more sense to reserve Earth for young people, especially in relation to child birth and growing up in full gravity, and for older people to leave them more room and brave the extra cosmic radiation while developing and maintaining colonies.
      So Brexit 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

The Logan's Run solution no longer appeal now you're getting on a bit then?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

If you check the demographics....
          Not something you're going to read in the Daily Mail though.
          Assume you mean this? The biggest population with a nation our size? Insane. It will be the tuliptiest place to live on Earth.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20.../population.eu

For ever expanding the population is the daftest solution possible. The UK, and eventually the Earth, has limited resources. The better solutions are increasing time people spend working, reduction of welfare, increasing use of technology to do many jobs and, just maybe, abandoning the daft idea that our wealth has to grow every year.
          Last edited by xoggoth; 9 March 2017, 17:15.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Assume you mean this? The biggest population with a nation our size? Insane.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20.../population.eu
            This is from 2011.

What you see is the UK population is not a pyramid as it normally is when the population is growing. The other thing you notice is in the group with the most new migrants, i.e. 20 something, the population is lower than the 45-55 (now 50-60) so there is no bulge coming through after the baby boomers. The second thing is the dearth of teenagers (note the graph is 5 years old). so there will be a problem over the next ten years of a substantial number of people leaving the workforce and not being replaced.

i.e. there is no new "migrant boomer" bulge coming through in 50 years.

There are still less babies being born than during the baby boom, in the 1950's and 1960's so I fail to see how the population is going to "explode".
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 9 March 2017, 17:32.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              This is from 2011.

What you see is the UK population is not a pyramid as it normally is when the population is growing. The other thing you notice is in the group with the most new migrants, i.e. 20 something, the population is lower than the 45-55 (now 50-60) so there is no bulge coming through after the baby boomers. The second thing is the dearth of teenagers (note the graph is 5 years old). so there will be a problem over the next ten years of a substantial number of people leaving the workforce and not being replaced.

i.e. there is no new "migrant boomer" bulge coming through in 50 years.

There are still less babies being born than during the baby boom, in the 1950's and 1960's so I fail to see how the population is going to "explode".

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...eviousReleases

Over a quarter (27.5%) of live births in 2015 were to mothers born outside the UK, the highest level on record.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Here's a little known fact, Britain is the biggest exporter of....migrants to the rest of EU...
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Here's a little known fact, Britain is the biggest exporter of....migrants to the rest of EU...
                  PS Oh! A joke
                  Last edited by xoggoth; 9 March 2017, 19:35.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    PS Oh! A joke
                    An old one, there are newer but I'm sure you know how to use Google: Britain is the biggest exporter of people in the EU - Telegraph
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

...and still fewer births in total than there were in the 1960's.

Where is the population explosion ?
                      Last edited by BlasterBates; 9 March 2017, 19:59.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X