• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it cuz I'm the wrong kind of black?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    The BBC is owned by the state and the state is a function of the capitalist class. This is why the BBC takes an orthodox right-wing economic view. However, on social matters, the BBC is largely liberal, reflecting the views of the intelligensia that staffs the BBC. This causes some confusion is less intelligent viewers, as social liberalism is conflated with left-wing.

It is an intriguing mix, because the capitalist class has always been willing to use race, sexuality etc. to divide the working class, in an often successful attempt to splinter off socially conservative members of the working class into backing parties (or even Brexit) that are against their own economic interests. The ease with which Cameron brought the Conservative party behind gay marriage and other socially liberal positions ('modernising the party') shows that the right can readily switch between social conservatism and liberalism, because fundamentally these positions are held by them opportunistically and cynically, and do not affect the economic position of the capitalist class.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      The BBC is owned by the state and the state is a function of the capitalist class. This is why the BBC takes an orthodox right-wing economic view. However, on social matters, the BBC is largely liberal, reflecting the views of the intelligensia that staffs the BBC. This causes some confusion is less intelligent viewers, as social liberalism is conflated with left-wing.

It is an intriguing mix, because the capitalist class has always been willing to use race, sexuality etc. to divide the working class, in an often successful attempt to splinter off socially conservative members of the working class into backing parties (or even Brexit) that are against their own economic interests. The ease with which Cameron brought the Conservative party behind gay marriage and other socially liberal positions ('modernising the party') shows that the right can readily switch between social conservatism and liberalism, because fundamentally these positions are held by them opportunistically and cynically, and do not affect the economic position of the capitalist class.

sniff, sniff Is it sheep? Is it Cow? oh yes I know now. Its Bull.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The BBC is owned by the state and the state is a function of the capitalist class. This is why the BBC takes an orthodox right-wing economic view. However, on social matters, the BBC is largely liberal, reflecting the views of the intelligentsia that staffs the BBC. This causes some confusion is less intelligent viewers, as social liberalism is conflated with left-wing.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        sniff, sniff Is it sheep? Is it Cow? oh yes I know now. Its Bull.
        Thanks for playing!

Comment

Thanks for playing!
          I think you are playing with yourself as usual.

Comment

I think you are playing with yourself as usual.
            Are you still going on about this? You lost! Move on! There's a whole world to squabble about.

Comment

Are you still going on about this? You lost! Move on! There's a whole world to squabble about.
              lost? you post drivel & I call you on it is hardly losing.

You suggested the Beeb was a right wing broadcaster and then tried to prove it to yourself by posting drivel.

A. Right wing is hardly an objective description. But frequently posters here believe the daily wail is Satan's toilet paper but the Beeb is the fluffy babysitter and can do no wrong.
              B. You are arguing with yourself.
              C I'm arguing with a deranged crayon eaters sockie.

actually you are probably right I lost.. (valuable seconds of my life).

Comment

There is another report I believe in the New statesman which shows that question time actually has more right wing panelists than left wing, but still...

Is the BBC Left-Wing or Right-Wing?

The BBC is rarely free from ideological complainants. Tabloid newspapers claim that the Beeb is forever peddling left–wing propaganda. The general public, according to various opinion polls, mostly thinks of it as subservient to power, hence right–wing.
                It all depends on how you define the terms, of course. If we take relatively straightforward dictionary–style definitions,
                • ‘left–wing’ means representing or promoting the interests of the less powerful, i.e. the general population, and
                • ‘right–wing’ means representing or promoting the interests of the powerful, i.e. the owners of economic capital and political power.

The BBC is Right–Wing

By those definitions, the BBC is clearly right–wing in the two main aspects of its news coverage:
                • the selection of events it covers
                • and the uncritical manner in which those events are covered.

BBC news reflects what is sometimes known as ‘the national interest’, i.e. the interests of established national institutions. Debate is limited to ideas acceptable to the main business parties; strikes and demonstrations, when they are reported at all, are depicted as threats to normal life; and the monarchy is fawned upon.
                It is also overwhelmingly right–wing in its coverage of matters other than news and current affairs. The ratio of brain–dead drivel (almost everything that’s broadcast) to serious intellectual activity (almost nothing) by itself limits the opportunity for critical discussion.
                The BBC is Left–Wing

The one area in which the BBC tends to be noticeably more civilised that the rest of the general media is its attitude to certain social matters. It is less ferociously anti–immigrant than most newspapers, and usually offers a non–judgmental depiction of minority social groups.
                This sort of vaguely left–wing attitude is safe and politically useful. It annoys just enough of the “I’m not a racist, but …” brigade to give the impression of independence, without challenging any of the central elements of domestic power.
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

:yewtree: :yewtree: :yewtree: :yewtree: :yewtree:
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

lost? you post drivel & I call you on it is hardly losing.

You suggested the Beeb was a right wing broadcaster and then tried to prove it to yourself by posting drivel.

A. Right wing is hardly an objective description. But frequently posters here believe the daily wail is Satan's toilet paper but the Beeb is the fluffy babysitter and can do no wrong.
                    B. You are arguing with yourself.
                    C I'm arguing with a deranged crayon eaters sockie.

actually you are probably right I lost.. (valuable seconds of my life).
                    You're really are too stupid for words. Not an insult, just an honest observation.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      You're really are too stupid for words. Not an insult, just an honest observation.
                      go back to your crayons.

Comment

Working...
                      X