Probate Fees Probate Fees - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: Probate Fees

More fingers than teeth

OwlHoot - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    It is worth noting that your 325k TAX allowance is transferable i.e. a married couple, one dies and leaves it all to their spouse (unlimited tax-free between spouses), then the spouse dies, they have £650k to give before IHT kicks in.
    Yup, and as I've pointed out here before, the Government has actually missed a trick, which is hard to believe considering how desperate they are for money NOW!

As the daft rules stand, if the first partner/spouse to snuff it bequeaths _anything_ to someone other than their partner then inheritance tax is payable on the whole estate (and then again on the entire remnant when the second partner pops orf).

What this obviously means is that the first partner inevitably shifts the whole lot over to the surviving partner, and the tax man sees no interitance tax until the latter has also died.

So it would make more sense (it seems to me, if I haven't misunderstood the rules) to simply levy inheritance tax on any portion of the estate bequeathed to other than the partner. That way, the Government would be no worse off in the end, and they would likely get a piece of the pie when the first partner died.

Also allowing the first partner to bequeath to others without this "double penalty" would generally mean younger relatives inheriting money earlier, which would presumably stimulate the economy, instead of old timers simply hoarding the money in bank accounts.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

My post count is Majestic

d000hg - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by OwlHoot View Post
    As the daft rules stand, if the first partner/spouse to snuff it bequeaths _anything_ to someone other than their partner then inheritance tax is payable on the whole estate
    I'm not sure about that, can you back it up?

When dad died he left virtually everything to mum but with a small amount to myself and my brother (it may have been 5k each IIRC). When mum died, our FA handling all the probate, etc, said mum had inherited something like 95% of dad's IHT allowance i.e. £315k.

I wasn't involved in the small details so I may have this all wrong I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

Godlike

Mordac is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    I'm not sure about that, can you back it up?

When dad died he left virtually everything to mum but with a small amount to myself and my brother (it may have been 5k each IIRC). When mum died, our FA handling all the probate, etc, said mum had inherited something like 95% of dad's IHT allowance i.e. £315k.

I wasn't involved in the small details so I may have this all wrong I suppose.
    You can leave a "gift" to someone other than your spouse tax free, but I didn't think it was as much as £5k.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

My post count is Majestic

AtW is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Just noticed the massive rise in probate fees. Inheritance tax increase anyone?
    This is effectively now the Inheritance Tax #2 - just like "Auto Enrollment" is National Insurance #2, and since Tory Scum gave no promises regarding those taxes they can increase them with impunity...