• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Corner cutting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corner cutting

Just musing, but I see a lot of systems with cut corners. Not just cut but sometimes severed

Take for example, data modellers. When was the last time you worked with one? Most systems nowadays are designed and built by the proverbial "developer". A catch all for bits of requirements gathering, coding, data modelling, testing etc. Unless you're fortunate enough to work on a project with deep pockets that can have skilled experts in each of these disciplines.

How much money is lost by businesses each year to this kind of technical debt built up by all this corner cutting? When did this entropy set in?

You can have all the flash harry agile standups, continuous integration, sprints, user stories you like but unless you pay for your talent, and respect that the old timers that have just done nothing but software architecture for the past 30 years know their onions and are worth paying for. But unless you're a software architect that can code as well, and do a bit of testing then you're on the bench. Some of these job specs are longer than your arm and quite laughable.

So IT is an overhead, cut corners, dumb down, lower the barrier to entry. Are we heading into the abyss? When is the big one, like a bank or a stock exchange going to go nipples up because of this?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Cut enough corners and you'll get a circle.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Just musing, but I see a lot of systems with cut corners. Not just cut but sometimes severed

Take for example, data modellers. When was the last time you worked with one? Most systems nowadays are designed and built by the proverbial "developer". A catch all for bits of requirements gathering, coding, data modelling, testing etc. Unless you're fortunate enough to work on a project with deep pockets that can have skilled experts in each of these disciplines.

How much money is lost by businesses each year to this kind of technical debt built up by all this corner cutting? When did this entropy set in?

You can have all the flash harry agile standups, continuous integration, sprints, user stories you like but unless you pay for your talent, and respect that the old timers that have just done nothing but software architecture for the past 30 years know their onions and are worth paying for. But unless you're a software architect that can code as well, and do a bit of testing then you're on the bench. Some of these job specs are longer than your arm and quite laughable.

So IT is an overhead, cut corners, dumb down, lower the barrier to entry. Are we heading into the abyss? When is the big one, like a bank or a stock exchange going to go nipples up because of this?
      Unlikely to happen because of IT; if it gets close, they'll through some of the money that they've saved at the problem. Better to spend £3m of the £10m now and throw another £3m at it later if it needs it. Unfortunately.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I thought this was a thread about Suity's new gig.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I thought this was a thread about Suity's new gig.
          The first line reads like his trail of destruction bloody cv, I'll grant you that.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Like everything else involving scissors, Suity needs to ask a grown up to cut corners for him.

Comment

Get the experts in, might not be cheap but you can rest assured there will be no system actually built to worry about

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

Oh, suity, what have you done?

Comment

How much money is lost by businesses each year employing Suity?

Sorry mate. . I hope you are well? Spurs are doing well.....

Comment

he does have a point Businesses either over tools up with 20 year old experts with fancy names or assumes a developer is able to do every discipline despite the obvious evidence of systems crashing everywhere.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X