• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Posh car tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posh car tax

Car Tax Changes Are Coming In 2017 – Mill Autoquip - The people who like to say YESMill Autoquip – The people who like to say YES

Essentially, the changes mean that future VED rates will be on a new three-tier system from 1 April 2017. The new scheme will be based on the vehicle’s emissions and list price:

Zero emissions cars won’t pay any VED.

A standard rate of £140 will apply for all other cars, regardless of how high their emissions are. However, the First Year Rate (FYR) will be a sliding scale depending on how polluting a car is. The rate starts at £10 for the first year, rising to a whopping £2,000 for the worst offenders. The full list of First Year Rates can be seen here.

There will also be a premium of £310 levied on all cars with a list price in excess of £40,000 for the first five years. This will include electric and other zero emission cars.

Something for Atw and his fantasy 911 Turbo S to consider...

Is it retrospective?

No, these changes will only apply to new cars sold and registered after 1 April 2017.
    Not retrospective then, I'm sure we can trust this

Comment

My old car already costs 500+ per year, first year reg fee was high for a longtime too - the biggest change will be to middle class buyers getting BMW 320 and getting whacked with 500+ VED...

btw - give it 5 years of Brexit and cars like Astra will be priced in that range

On a plus side in 2023 I can finally buy Tirbo S and only pay £140 per year in VED, good. things come to those etc etc...
      Last edited by AtW; 12 March 2017, 12:29.

Comment

I thought I would check out my car tax in the UK, blimey, it's GBP1,200 and then GBP450 each year. I pay €278 per year here
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          I thought I would check out my car tax in the UK, blimey, it's GBP1,200 and then GBP450 each year. I pay €278 per year here
          And you got better roads!

Comment

Funny that: the road tax on my climate-changing-car is £500 at this time but for post-April models it will be £450. So long as I buy the next model when it's a year old, I'll be paying less tax and polluting away to my heart's content!

Comment

My '04 gas guzzler is still good value for money for a while yet then. I knew keeping the old gal was a good idea.
              Last edited by ladymuck; 12 March 2017, 21:38. Reason: too many gins, can't type

Comment

Working...
              X