Posh car tax Posh car tax
Posts 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Posh car tax

Richer than sasguru

DimPrawn is a fount of knowledge

Default Posh car tax

Car Tax Changes Are Coming In 2017 – Mill Autoquip - The people who like to say YESMill Autoquip – The people who like to say YES

Essentially, the changes mean that future VED rates will be on a new three-tier system from 1 April 2017. The new scheme will be based on the vehicle’s emissions and list price:

Zero emissions cars won’t pay any VED.

A standard rate of £140 will apply for all other cars, regardless of how high their emissions are. However, the First Year Rate (FYR) will be a sliding scale depending on how polluting a car is. The rate starts at £10 for the first year, rising to a whopping £2,000 for the worst offenders. The full list of First Year Rates can be seen here.

There will also be a premium of £310 levied on all cars with a list price in excess of £40,000 for the first five years. This will include electric and other zero emission cars.

Something for Atw and his fantasy 911 Turbo S to consider...
    Three-and-a-half years, two extensions, seven defections, 21 deselections, three prime ministers, countless amendments, two prorogations, one Supreme Court judgement, 66 million Brits losing the will to live and were still at square one...

More time posting than coding

adubya is good enough for Jehovah!

Is it retrospective?

No, these changes will only apply to new cars sold and registered after 1 April 2017.
    Not retrospective then, I'm sure we can trust this

My post count is Majestic

AtW is a fount of knowledge

My old car already costs 500+ per year, first year reg fee was high for a longtime too - the biggest change will be to middle class buyers getting BMW 320 and getting whacked with 500+ VED...

btw - give it 5 years of Brexit and cars like Astra will be priced in that range

On a plus side in 2023 I can finally buy Tirbo S and only pay £140 per year in VED, good. things come to those etc etc...
    Last edited by AtW; 12th March 2017 at 12:29.

More fingers than teeth

darmstadt is a fount of knowledge

I thought I would check out my car tax in the UK, blimey, it's GBP1,200 and then GBP450 each year. I pay €278 per year here
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

My post count is Majestic

AtW is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by darmstadt View Post
    I thought I would check out my car tax in the UK, blimey, it's GBP1,200 and then GBP450 each year. I pay €278 per year here
    And you got better roads!

Godlike

ChimpMaster is NOT a disguised employee

Funny that: the road tax on my climate-changing-car is £500 at this time but for post-April models it will be £450. So long as I buy the next model when it's a year old, I'll be paying less tax and polluting away to my heart's content!

Super poster

ladymuck is a fount of knowledge

My '04 gas guzzler is still good value for money for a while yet then. I knew keeping the old gal was a good idea.
    Last edited by ladymuck; 12th March 2017 at 21:38. Reason: too many gins, can't type