• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Data science and predictability of outcomes.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by teapot418 View Post
    I read tealeaves. Shout if you want yours doing.
    I find coffee grounds more predictable...
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Where did I say probabilistic prediction requires historical data? I said it requires a similar event. You could create such an event with which to make your prediction. Stochastic processes don't care for time.

Deterministic prediction never makes use historical data either. That's a major slip up in education that is. They measure the likelihood of events through measurement of some quantity.
      Did you do a postgrad stats course or something? All sorts of deterministic models make use of historical data to estimate their parameters without introducing any stochastic terms. As I said, it's a modelling choice. No idea what you're on about with regard to "similar event" or the time invariance of a stochastic process or "likelihood" w/r to a deterministic prediction. I think you're getting confused by stationarity or, perhaps, just in general. An event is simply a subset of a sample space. You don't need a "similar" event to make a prediction, you need a model, which may or may not have parameters to estimate from data.

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
        Having recently worked with a genuine in-memory analytics tool, it does anything except speed things up!

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          Why have our resident data scientists not predicted brexit?
          Originally posted by teapot418 View Post
          I read tealeaves.

Comment

What a dumb question.
            I think alcohol has addled your brain.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
              tea leaves got it wrong Scotland is still there
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                Did you do a postgrad stats course or something? All sorts of deterministic models make use of historical data to estimate their parameters without introducing any stochastic terms. As I said, it's a modelling choice. No idea what you're on about with regard to "similar event" or the time invariance of a stochastic process or "likelihood" w/r to a deterministic prediction. I think you're getting confused by stationarity or, perhaps, just in general. An event is simply a subset of a sample space. You don't need a "similar" event to make a prediction, you need a model, which may or may not have parameters to estimate from data.
                Scooter is simply a thick fraud. Hth.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Scooter is simply a thick fraud. Hth.
                  oh dear the 'No brainers' are falling out. Next Darmy will be crying into his milk.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    tea leaves got it wrong Scotland is still moaning
                    FTFY.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      Because it's hard to predict crazy black-swan events?
                      Since a crazy black-swan event is one that's hard to predict, that's fairly self evident. But thanks for sharing.

Any number of reasons. Perhaps they didn't apply their skills to it. Perhaps they didn't have access to the data. Perhaps the process is chaotic - so deterministic but not predictable (sensitive to very small changes in the initial conditions).
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X