• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Meanwhile outside of the EU - anyone for a beef madras?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Not all, but most. The curry as we know it is Bengali cuisine but that hasn't stopped Pakistanis cooking it. Most of the Bengalis over here are from the small Sylhet district of Bangladesh; the Bengali guys in our local curry house, although they were also from Sylhet, didn't know why.
    It does vary. West Midlands balti cuisine is Pakistani based.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      It does vary. West Midlands balti cuisine is Pakistani based.
      Balti cuisine is Birmingham based. The curries served in the Baltistan region of Pakistan bear no resemblance to the Balti curries that originated in Sparkhill. But yes, we are probably agreeing that the Balti curry is a Pakistani dish at heart but created by Pakistani ex-pats in south Birmingham rather than imported.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        Balti cuisine is Birmingham based. The curries served in the Baltistan region of Pakistan bear no resemblance to the Balti curries that originated in Sparkhill. But yes, we are probably agreeing that the Balti curry is a Pakistani dish at heart but created by Pakistani ex-pats in south Birmingham rather than imported.
        Same with a korma really etc.

Comment

I haven't ben for years but the Spice Merchant in Malmesbury was run by guys from Kerala. The Menu was a split between British cuury dishes and southern Indian which were gorgeous.
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Same with a korma really etc.
            Hence my comment on another thread they are all made up.

If you have some friends, but preferably one of their older relations, from various Asian countries get them each to cook you a chicken curry*. Unless they are from an area right next to each other the curry will be different.

*I'm ignoring veggie people on purpose.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Hence my comment on another thread they are all made up.

If you have some friends, but preferably one of their older relations, from various Asian countries get them each to cook you a chicken curry*. Unless they are from an area right next to each other the curry will be different.

South Indian - I'm telling you.

Back to Gujerat, it puts a whole new slant on wandering out of the pub and saying, 'I could murder a curry'.

Comment

South Indian - I'm telling you.

Back to Gujerat, it puts a whole new slant on wandering out of the pub and saying, 'I could murder a curry'.
                Well, some are very relieved to hear about this latest news

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Some of the best Indian food that I've had (aside from the Babur) was at a Hindu wedding in Wythenshawe years ago. Fantastic stuff, wouldn't know where to go to eat it at a restaurant
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    I've been doing that for years. Really gets on their lentils.
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

It's grim out there, folks. I hope you're ready.
                      Can anyone be ready for this....?

Comment

Working...
                      X