• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

US raises interest rates - dollar strengthens

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Having a roof over your head that no one can take away and that you don't have a monthly cost for isn't an asset? It already puts you in the top 10% of the world.
    As per definition, An asset is something which generates a positive cashflow. I never consider a person's home an asset, or more appropriately, an investment. Sure, it is a significant amount of money and it can appreciate, however, you have no cash flow from it and in fact it is all expense (maintenance, tax etc.). Any appreciation is just on paper unless you sell it.

Even Rich Dad got this one right:

If you have a house, paid for or not, that you live in, then it can't be an asset. Instead of putting money in your pocket, it takes money out of your pocket. That is the simple definition of a liability. This is doubly true if you don't own your home yet.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
      As per definition, An asset is something which generates a positive cashflow. I never consider a person's home an asset, or more appropriately, an investment. Sure, it is a significant amount of money and it can appreciate, however, you have no cash flow from it and in fact it is all expense (maintenance, tax etc.). Any appreciation is just on paper unless you sell it.

Even Rich Dad got this one right:

If you have a house, paid for or not, that you live in, then it can't be an asset. Instead of putting money in your pocket, it takes money out of your pocket. That is the simple definition of a liability. This is doubly true if you don't own your home yet.
      You're obviously a singleton, a theoretician and destined to be poor.
      You know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
      A fool, in other words.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

You're obviously a singleton, a theoretician and destined to be poor.
        You know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
        A fool, in other words.
        The "value in use" is the only economic value you can count on and that is measured by what a substitute home might cost in rent, for example. Otherwise, home ownership is an economic liability.

I am none of the above sas, thanks to good looks, a successful practical career, and being born with a silver spoon in my mouth.

Comment

The "value in use" is the only economic value you can count on and that is measured by what a substitute home might cost in rent, for example. Otherwise, home ownership is an economic liability.

I am none of the above sas, thanks to good looks, a successful practical career, and being born with a silver spoon in my mouth.
          Ah my bad. You're a golden fool.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Ah my bad. You're a golden fool.
            Muchas veces donde hay estacas no hay tocinos. x

Comment

Muchas veces donde hay estacas no hay tocinos. x
              Sorry don't speak Spanish. Pretty sure what you've posted isn't worth knowing anyway.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Sorry don't speak Spanish. Pretty sure what you've posted isn't worth knowing anyway.
                Often where there are hooks [for hanging hams] there are no hams.

HTH BIDI

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Often where there are hooks [for hanging hams] there are no hams.

HTH BIDI
                  I was right.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Quite a lot weaker.
                    So when is the thread title getting changed then?

Comment

Working...
                    X