• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

US raises interest rates - dollar strengthens

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US raises interest rates - dollar strengthens

Which means commodity prices rise for those of us with a banana republic currency

More inflation, bring it on, it's all character building
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Dollar got a bit weaker after announcement...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Not for long ...
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Which means commodity prices rise for those of us with a banana republic currency

It is like expecting that a price increase in Greggs will lead to a meaner fitter shauny, when we all know he would just drown his sorrows with British fortified wine and stop buying soap.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Quite a lot weaker. The reason being that the hike was fully expected and the dot plots were fairly disappointing, about the same as December, IIRC. Points to another two hikes this year, max, and we all know what happened in earlier years. I think DXY is a little down on on the calendar year, if anything. If a border tax is introduced, all bets are off...

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            Quite a lot weaker. The reason being that the hike was fully expected and the dot plots were fairly disappointing, about the same as December, IIRC. Points to another two hikes this year, max, and we all know what happened in earlier years. I think DXY is a little down on on the calendar year, if anything. If a border tax is introduced, all bets are off...
            Temporary market reaction purely because of less than expected hikes as you say.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Temporary market reaction purely because of less than expected hikes as you say.
              Probably. As with the jobs report, the initial reaction to the Fed is quite often reversed over subsequent days. That said, it has quite a lot of strength priced in w/r to Trump's tax policies, and it's becoming increasingly obvious that he's going to struggle to get anything radical through Congress (too many vested interests). Any sign of backsliding and the Dollar will take a major hit. However, any concrete signs of a BAT, and it will appreciate substantially (in theory, by roughly the new CT rate, but probably not that much in practice). More difficult to guess than usual.

Comment

Wow, there's a future for you as an economist.

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn't happen today.

Laurence J. Peter

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Wow, there's a future for you as an economist.
                  I'm a millionaire already, I don't need to be an economist.

Hth
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

I'm a millionaire already, I don't need to be an economist.

Hth
                    Oh, how naive you are. It is all the more reason to be. A million isn't very much these days.

Comment

Working...
                    X