• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ltd. company questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ltd. company questions

New to this so apologies if my questions are a bit obvious.

If you pay yourself a minimum salary and a chunk of dividends to keep you in basic 20% tax rate..... what happens to the 'pot' of money left in the Ltd company? after a period of a few years this would have built up, how can i get it out of the business?

I found this article: Optimum Directors Salary and Dividends 2017/18 - JF Financial : Online Accountants

Im a little confused at their examples, why is there no mention of corporation tax deduction on profits? I thought this was required before dividend could be paid out?

Why have you posted this in General?

I presume you can read and understand things?

Nope clearly you can't.

Anyway do you like gladiators?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Ask a kindly mod to move your thread to accounting.

Yes, the money builds up. You either take it at higher rate tax, put it in a pension, or wait till you stop contracting and close your company, at which point you pay capital gains on it.

It's a good idea to keep 6-12 months to cover bench time, sickness etc, etc...

Comment

Before you go off and get giddy it will also fund you for periods on the bench between gigs which can be long.

Plenty of other things to worry about before masses of money in your company.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

So let me get this right....

Turnover

Pay yourself a min salary + expenses
          Net profit is taxed at 20% corporation tax
          Remainder can be taken as a dividend (will need to work out how much i can take if wanting to stay under the basic rate personal tax allowance).

Is that more or less the grounds on how it works?

Comment

Pension.
            Remember you will need to retire some day and your Ltd. Co. can pay into your pension.
            This comes out before profits and Corp. tax are calculated.

Comment

Originally posted by D15 View Post

Turnover

Remainder can be taken as a dividend (will need to work out how much i can take if wanting to stay under the basic rate personal tax allowance).

You will pay dividend tax too.
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by D15 View Post

Turnover

Make sure gig isn't Public Sector and make sure gig is outside IR35, pay tax upfront for next year if over lower limit...

Comment

Working...
                X