• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cyclists All

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cyclists All

Well I'm back in the jug again next week with my first scrotif of the year and I thought I'd post this pic as I think it rather wonderfully sums up what the latter stages of an event are like for us slowcoaches.

Look at the misery etched on those faces. Look at that gradient - it's probably not even 5% yet because we're all psyched up for the big hills, we forget about these seemingly innocuous slopes and we're not ready for them when they pop up. Consequently, they are positively soul destroying.

Was made mindful this weekend of the benefits of a) not being male and b) having a cycle of a certain conjugation; towit, the absence of a crossbar and the lack of a jolly bag to come into said crossbar with sudden, brutal force.

The type of force that is encountered when one's hanger snaps off whilst attacking a particularly steep ramp

Comment

Well Agrippina here, she lives for hills.

As for ball-breaking rear hanger probs, it's nearly always user error.

Comment

Originally posted by glebe digital View Post

As for ball-breaking rear hanger probs, it's nearly always user error.

There are mitigating factors

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post

Just. No

Comment

Originally posted by glebe digital View Post
            Just. No
            'tis often said.

Once you've gone 'bent, you'll never go back.

Comment

Looks to me like a high speed prang on that would very likely crack the rider's sternum and at least a couple of ribs
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Can admin do the needful and cull this tedious sockie?
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Well I'm back in the jug again next week with my first scrotif of the year and I thought I'd post this pic as I think it rather wonderfully sums up what the latter stages of an event are like for us slowcoaches.

Look at the misery etched on those faces. Look at that gradient - it's probably not even 5% yet because we're all psyched up for the big hills, we forget about these seemingly innocuous slopes and we're not ready for them when they pop up. Consequently, they are positively soul destroying.
                  Did I ever tell you about the time I did the 200km Audax UK event in the Peak District? On a single gear. 67". Freewheel. And rode the 20 miles from home to the start of the event. And the 20 miles back.

It were tough when I were a lad!

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
                    On a single gear. 67". Freewheel.
                    What were you riding? A penny farthing?

Comment

Working...
                    X