• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cyclists All

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    What were you riding? A penny farthing?
    Country bumpkin
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

What were you riding? A penny farthing?

Standard 1970's geometry. 72 parallel. 27 inch wheels, 1 1/4 inch high pressure(!!) tyres.

Actually, the frame was that old when I got it, it was probably from the 1960s.

[mansplaining] I just realised what you might have meant. Not a penny farthing 67 inch gear. 48 tooth chainwheel, 19 tooth rear sprocket. Although it was a single gear, the sprocket was free, not fixed (actually, that comes out at 68 inch, I must have misremembered over the intervening 35+ years...)[/mansplaining]
      Last edited by RetSet; 11 April 2017, 19:24.

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
        (mansplaining) ... (/mansplaining)
        Does "mansplaining" mean explaining by a man or to a man?

Just wondering, because as in this case it isn't always obvious.

Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Does "mansplaining" mean explaining by a man or to a man?

Just wondering, because as in this case it isn't always obvious.

LMGTFY

Well, since I acually quoted Pip...

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post

[mansplaining] I just realised what you might have meant. Not a penny farthing 67 inch gear. 48 tooth chainwheel, 19 tooth rear sprocket. Although it was a single gear, the sprocket was free, not fixed (actually, that comes out at 68 inch, I must have misremembered over the intervening 35+ years...)[/mansplaining]
            So, the 67 inches I took to be the size of the wheel (hence penny farthing) is the product of the number of teeth on your chain ring and your rear cog?

Comment

So, the 67 inches I took to be the size of the wheel (hence penny farthing) is the product of the number of teeth on your chain ring and your rear cog?
              The very aged among will recall that bicycle gearing was measured in terms of the equivalent penny farthing (properly called an "Ordinary") front wheel diameter, until most started having gears on them.

Incidentally I have a certificate upstairs to the effect that I rode the Coddington Flyer, a genuine penny farthing, in the mid 50s. Since I would have been in junior school, I have no idea (or recollection) how I achieved that feat!
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

No, it's the height of the saddle I think

Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

And the wheel size (27 inches).

Thus (48/19)*27 = 68

Way too high for the ride in question. But I did it

Comment

Working...
                  X