• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boring house-purchase buildings insurance question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I didn't spot anything though I need to re-read the whole thing in more detail. The house is in a wood but there is one tree very close. Shallow rooted and we'll probably have it taken out anyway but it's more about the height as it's definitely with 10m of the house or whatever we were asked. I was slightly surprised the survey didn't red-flag it actually.
    It should be in your full structural survey... you did get a full one didn't you?

Will the roots undermine my property?
    Any prospective buyer would be advised to obtain a full structural survey. In practice it is most unlikely that tree roots will damage a properly constructed house. Trees do not actively seek out house foundations. They influence the sub soil in which they grow due to the amount of water they demand and this can affect the way certain soil types behave. So called shrinkable soils; such as clays and silts change in volume when water is removed or added, causing them to shrink or swell respectively. The effects of such movement on a building can be mitigated by the construction of appropriate foundations, which extend to a depth below that influenced by the roots of mature trees. A full structural survey should address such issues and highlight any areas of concern.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

On RICS recommendation the HomeBuyer, however talking to the surveyor the actual survey is basically the same only the level of detail in the report is different... and they will give advisement on likely costs to remedy things. Homebuyer still covers outbuildings and limited reporting on gardens, etc, should definitely point out something like a bloody great tree

It's a tree they planted when they moved in ~25 years ago and is nor at the height of the upstairs window. Some fast-growing, shallow-rooted conifer. The survey noted no issues with the walls, foundations, movement, etc. Like I say it's going - it's ugly and blocking the view.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The reports should advise if it's protected or not as well.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          The reports should advise if it's protected or not as well.
          The tree? Yeah one of the searches covered that. Thankfully the property is not listed and none of the trees are protected even though some are very old and the property is nestled in the midst of pockets of Historic Woodland, greenbelt and conservation areas.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            The tree? Yeah one of the searches covered that. Thankfully the property is not listed and none of the trees are protected even though some are very old and the property is nestled in the midst of pockets of Historic Woodland, greenbelt and conservation areas.
            That's very surprising but good news. I remember buying a house a long time ago and the report came back saying there were 4 protected trees on my property but only one actually one existed. Over zealous solicitor insisted it was rectified before purchase which opened a can of worms about where the others had gone which nearly kiboshed the whole sale.

Comment

My house insurance is up for renewal next month so I have just run the figures through on the compare the monkfish site which oddly did not come close to my existing renewal price (that is a first)

The best way to approach this if you are unsure is simply play with the tool banging in what you know for certain and then adjusting for what you think i.e is the tree above 10M > no in the 1st run > yes in the 2nd - it takes seconds to do, same with the locks etc. If the difference is peanuts then take out the policy with the higher risks included.

Think positive if the tree falls on the house but it is fitted with crap locks you will at least be able to get out faster

Refer to your survey for estimated rebuilding costs don't rely on the guesstimate online that's typically hopeless and include any outbuildings as well e.g. my Garage is about two times bigger than my first house so the online guesstimate for my total rebuilding cost are always way out.

Oh and last time I took out a Mortgage which I must admit was quite a while ago I was not required to show proof of building cover iirc.
              Last edited by DallasDad; 17 March 2017, 15:03.
              So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Originally posted by DallasDad View Post
                My house insurance is up for renewal next month so I have just run the figures through it on the compare the monkfish site which oddly did not come close to my existing renewal price (that is a first)

The best way to approach this if you are unsure is simply play with the tool banging in what you know for certain and then adjusting for what you think i.e is the tree is it above 10M > no in the 1st run > yes in the 2nd - it takes seconds to do, same with the locks etc. If the difference is peanuts then take out the policy with the hogher risks included.

Think positive if the tree falls on the house but it is fitted with crap locks you will at least be able to get out faster

Refer to your survey for estimated rebuilding costs don't rely on the guesstimate online that's typically hopeless and include any outbuildings as well e.g. my Garage is about two times bigger than my first house so the online guesstimate for my total rebuilding cost are always way out.
                And this is the benefit of the Direct Line product. It's got a max value rather than you having to bugger about put the numbers in. I got the + option for some reason which escapes me now but the max values covered were way above mine so didn't need to bugger about doing all this.

Just checked the their site and the + option is unlimited. Check the T&C's and quote for yourself mind.
                https://www.directline.com/home-insu...ings-insurance

Comment

Yep I am going to play with DL later I agree I like it when the buildings cover is just set at < £2M or whatever no chance of being under insured

I just think last time I used it the quote was a lot higher.

Plus of far more importance to Swmbo
                  We now have a sizeable family of stuffed toys to look after which ultimately are the only direct result I have from several £1000s of insurance cover over the years

We have the 2012 £399 Meerkat the 2014 £245 Meerkat ...............
                  So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Absolutely, this is one perk you get with the HomeBuyer product as well.

Although I have two rebuild costs. One from my survey, one from the mortgage-provider's valuation report. However, they did actually send a chap out to do the valuation so it's not a worthless drive-by.

The mortgage valuation had a rebuild estimate £100k more than the surveyor's... not sure if my mortgage lender insist on their value being used without trawling the small print, anyone?

Comment

Yep I am going to play with DL later I agree I like it when the buildings cover is just set at < £2M or whatever no chance of being under insured

I just think last time I used it the quote was a lot higher.

Plus of far more importance to Swmbo
                      We now have a sizeable family of stuffed toys to look after which ultimately are the only direct result I have from several £1000s of insurance cover over the years

We have the 2012 £399 Meerkat the 2014 £245 Meerkat ...............
                      I am sure a packaged solution like this more expensive but for peace of mind it was champion. Free family holiday insurance for the year. Away from home + university cover, not having to list valuables and so on. Just right for me.

I got screwed using the compare sites. I had a policy that had phones away from home but the one offered by the comparison site didn't include it so not like for like at all. After getting all pissed off with that to save a few 10s of pounds the DL package is for me.

Each to their own and DYOR and all that.

Comment

Working...
                      X