• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boring house-purchase buildings insurance question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boring house-purchase buildings insurance question

When you buy a house with a mortgage you are required to have buildings insurance. But looking quickly online they ask you things like what type of locks there are on doors and windows, if there are trees over Xm in height within Ym of the house, and other things which require checking. Is it normal to get all this information from the seller or is there some way to have interim cover until you've actually moved in and can get definitive answers... there's no guarantee information from the seller is absolutely correct after all?

Do insurers ever send people out to inspect properties these days for quotes, or is it all done online?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

You could make some reasonable assumptions based on a google street view look at the property wrt trees, etc. You could request a viewing to have a look at things like locks, etc if you can't remember what type of locks they had.

You could ask the vendor, no harm in that either.

Comment

Make the best guess you can.

Though you should have looked at trees and known about water courses when you were having a look at the property and doing searches.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Just been through this as I need insurance in place at the time contracts are exchanged.

I just got the keys off the agent and went round and checked it all out myself.

If you can't do that then get the agent to ask the vendors or, failing that, have the agent go round the property on your behalf.

Comment

its normally only a few quid extra if you don't have 5 lever etc locks (£10 from memory) just pay it. You re going to change them all the day you move in aren't you?

Tree is for subsidence try Google Earth. Surveyor should notice any that are at risk. I would suggest that would over ride their arbitrary restrictions of course IANAL.

Flooding you should have a search done for. Distance from water is for flood & subsidence I was on the cusp last house I did point out there was a railway line and 20 foot dip between us & the canal but they charged extra. Google Earth is your friend.

I got an interim cover from my insurer they covered the new house until I moved.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Seems reasonable to include questions like that as part of the buyer's enquiries.

Also don't forget, from the moment you exchange contracts you need building insurance to the same fraction of the overall insured value as the deposit is to the full purchase price.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

If you go with Direct Line they seem to have a much simpler approach than many other vendors. Instead of a lengthy tick box approach they seem to include much of it. For example, valuables over a certain level or just included. Don't need to list them and so on.

They are not on the price comparison sites but they appeared to be mid table for cost which, bearing in mind the simplicity and massive cover was a bloody bargain TBH. Was very pleased to find it has an Away From Home offering covering University stuff. Don't remember having that in other policies I have.

If you are slightly concerned about getting the wrong answer because you don't know I'd definitely recommend pumping the numbers in to Direct Line.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Trees are tricky since there are some close by but I couldn't say exactly how many metres without a tape measure... and equally I was asked if they were over a specific height which would require measuring using Pythagorus. Don't want to find I'm screwed in the event of a claim because I mis-measured by a foot or something anal...

I'll see about interim cover with our current provider, in fact our policy is due just two weeks before we want to move which we also need to tell them about, but the new place is quite an old unique property so I'm not sure if they just want the rebuild cost and tick-boxes for flooding, trees, etc or might do a bespoke quote.

Comment

Won't the house have surveys covering trees near the property of there are any??
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I didn't spot anything though I need to re-read the whole thing in more detail. The house is in a wood but there is one tree very close. Shallow rooted and we'll probably have it taken out anyway but it's more about the height as it's definitely with 10m of the house or whatever we were asked. I was slightly surprised the survey didn't red-flag it actually.

Comment

Working...
                    X