• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

March 30th, 2017 - The official two year countdown to the best UK/EU trade deal ever.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Even without Brexit, that would mean nothing to us. It is just a combined rating for Germany, France, Italy, Spain, the Netherlands, Austria, the Republic of Ireland and Greece - you see some Euro nations beef it up (e.g. Germany on 58.3) and some drag it down (Greece on 47.7).

Euro Area Manufacturing PMI | 2007-2017 | Data | Chart | Calendar

Germany has a strong economy which is dependent on the Euro to allow the piss poor nations to drag the value of the Euro down.
    Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Not just Germany

Italy Manufacturing PMI | 2012-2017 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast

Italy even doing well.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

It's funny, Brexiters moan about what the Euro is doing to Portugal, Spain, Greece etc.

Ignoring the facts that:

1) they are still much better off than when they were impoverished, second world, banana-republic-like countries pre EU
        2) which is why none of them wants to leave the EU and
        3) this is my opinion, but the fiscal discipline/austerity imposed on them by Germany over the last few hard years was absolutely necessary to get them in some form of economic shape - as opposed to spending money they didn't have.
        It should have happened here too, but we had fake austerity instead.

I have no doubt the next few years will be good for Euroland.

Greece is the one country that doesn't belong and should be kicked out.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          It's funny, Brexiters moan about what the Euro is doing to Portugal, Spain, Greece etc.

Ignoring the facts that:

1) they are still much better off than when they were impoverished, second world, banana-republic-like countries pre EU
          2) which is why none of them wants to leave the EU and
          3) this is my opinion, but the fiscal discipline/austerity imposed on them by Germany over the last few hard years was absolutely necessary to get them in some form of economic shape - as opposed to spending money they didn't have.
          It should have happened here too, but we had fake austerity instead.

I have no doubt the next few years will be good for Euroland.

Greece is the one country that doesn't belong and should be kicked out.
          The countries are better off than immediately post-WWII, but I think that is due to the EU, not the Euro. The Euro locked them in at an effective fixed exchange rate that has left them unable to compete with Northern European countries, as they cannot devalue to restore competitiveness.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            What I find shocking about tripe like this is that some people actually believe it.

Comment

The part of not be in Euro and in Schengen make me laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                The countries are better off than immediately post-WWII, but I think that is due to the EU, not the Euro. The Euro locked them in at an effective fixed exchange rate that has left them unable to compete with Northern European countries, as they cannot devalue to restore competitiveness.
                There is a school of thought that that is not a long term fix.
                If they can learn to be competitive within the Euro, they will be much better off - whether that is possible remains to be seen, but Spain now has the highest growth rate in Europe at 3%.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  What I find shocking about tripe like this is that some people actually believe it.
                  Which part do you disagree with?
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Which part do you disagree with?
                    It's just a vague and general kind of disagreement, nothing specific.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                      Please explain? If you can give me good reasons as to why it isn't true then I've vote Brexit
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X