• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

March 30th, 2017 - The official two year countdown to the best UK/EU trade deal ever.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    The countries are better off than immediately post-WWII,
    In the year 6000 Brits will still be talking about the impact of WWII
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      Please explain? If you can give me good reasons as to why it isn't true then I've vote Brexit
      OK, these things are somewhat factual but it's written as if these things were all bad things.

Coal industry was losing money, made sense to close down unprofitable pits. Depleted social housing stock? I guess the govt was spending the money on something else, maybe the NHS. Gas, BT, mail, rail, all famously inefficient, they seem to be running better now they are run privately. 'Smashed' the unions. I'd accept broke, but smashed is an emotive word. Tuition fees? Well there's not a magic money tree, is there? Leftist politicians seem to believe there is, I've never seen it. MY NHS? In what sense does the NHS belong to me. It's a piece of crap, why would I want to own it if it can be run better by someone else?

Those sentences are written as if to suggest that the govt sold off "my" perfectly good stuff against my will and stole the money. I seem to recall the govt had to pay to nationalise those things in the first place, using "my" money. People voted for the then govt do it, and that's fine. When they were sold, didn't the then elected govt use the money for whatever priorities the public elected them to prioritise at that time?

If people want higher taxes so the govt can dump more cash in to the NHS and re-nationalise those things, fine, form a party and see how many votes you get. As usual, some people will vote to keep what they have worked hard to get, and those who don't contribute will vote to take money from those who do.

People who vote for higher taxes always think it won't affect them: it's taking money from the rich and selfish folks, like sas. Try lowering the taxable allowance to bring more people back in to tax to pay for the world's best and most efficient health service, then listen to them howl with indignation.

Oh well, that's kinda my view on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        OK, these things are somewhat factual but it's written as if these things were all bad things.

Coal industry was losing money, made sense to close down unprofitable pits. Depleted social housing stock? I guess the govt was spending the money on something else, maybe the NHS. Gas, BT, mail, rail, all famously inefficient, they seem to be running better now they are run privately. 'Smashed' the unions. I'd accept broke, but smashed is an emotive word. Tuition fees? Well there's not a magic money tree, is there? Leftist politicians seem to believe there is, I've never seen it. MY NHS? In what sense does the NHS belong to me. It's a piece of crap, why would I want to own it if it can be run better by someone else?

Those sentences are written as if to suggest that the govt sold off "my" perfectly good stuff against my will and stole the money. I seem to recall the govt had to pay to nationalise those things in the first place, using "my" money. People voted for the then govt do it, and that's fine. When they were sold, didn't the then elected govt use the money for whatever priorities the public elected them to prioritise at that time?

If people want higher taxes so the govt can dump more cash in to the NHS and re-nationalise those things, fine, form a party and see how many votes you get. As usual, some people will vote to keep what they have worked hard to get, and those who don't contribute will vote to take money from those who do.

People who vote for higher taxes always think it won't affect them: it's taking money from the rich and selfish folks, like sas. Try lowering the taxable allowance to bring more people back in to tax to pay for the world's best and most efficient health service, then listen to them howl with indignation.

Oh well, that's kinda my view on it.
        Still wasn't the EU though but try explaining that to a Brexiter
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

What I find shocking about tripe like this is that some people actually believe it.
          OK, these things are somewhat factual
          Top marks.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            Top marks.
            Thank you. Now you have learned that writing is not just about simple content but also about the way it's presented. There you go, and you thought you knew everything

Comment

Coal, well that's not coming back. Like many industries in the UK that found themselves the way of the coal industry... the world changed people did not. Take London black cabs. Along comes Uber and history is made. If you do not invent/change you die. You can't throw your toys out the pram and expect the competition to yield to your wishes in union protests and court battles. That's laughable if not entertaining.

Alas tuition fees. What a awful mistake. Education should be available for all without the cog in the machine being asked to pick up the cost, certainly for courses that provide the skills industry is crying out for, such as engineering. Introduction of tuition fees were short sighted action by those that do not understand economy. Here in Germany many students stay after their *free* higher education and contribute back into the system. A contribution that's worth far more that the government collects in tuition fees.

UK rail is running better? That made me chuckle. And lets not forget the cost. Private rail operators are now subsided more than the national rail network ever was. Mulitple operators fighting over the same track on a tiny island.

We've used the NHS twice with our smalls over the last 5 or 6 years. Never was we charged once. Your loss.

The UK is one of the richest countries in the world, there never seems enough and yet other countries manage more with less. How?

A simple answer, the governments of the UK those past 20 years are some of the most inefficient ever created. It seems to me many career serving politicians are more interested in reward than rank often to keen to line their pockets post public life, Osbourne being the most recent example.

But go ahead and Brexit anyway. Just don't complain when the change wanted is not forthcoming.
              Last edited by scooterscot; 24 March 2017, 19:42.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Thank you. Now you have learned that writing is not just about simple content but also about the way it's presented. There you go, and you thought you knew everything
                The post truth manifesto.

Comment

Working...
                X